Howdy from a new member

Brookfield Cyn

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2016
This is really an amazing site; I'm so excited to join you all and start my flock. Three days ago I got my 4 girls- 2 gold-laced Wyandottes and 2 Easter-Eggers. So far, so good- I can't believe how much they eat and drink for being so small!

I have a couple questions so far. It doesn't seem to be nearly 95 degrees in their brooder, but they weren't ever going on the side closer to the heat lamp; however, wherever they go, they're always huddled together. So my guess is they huddle for protection/ camaraderie as opposed to just warmth? I raised the lamp, and now they seem to go all over, so that was a good move, right?

Also, they seem to be really afraid of me, and don't want me to touch them. I get down on the ground; I'm not loud; I try not to pester them, but when I'm near the brooder or go to change their water, etc. they chirp and run as far away from me as they can. My instinct says just to be patient and they'll come around, but complicating this is that I thought I'm supposed to check them for pasting up every day for the first week or two. Boy do they hate that, so I think they think I'm the evil giant that picks them up (however gently and from the bottom) and looks at their butts, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who did that to me. ;) So, any advice on how to get them not to fear me? Will they eventually come around? I guess I'm happier that they all really like each other; no one seems like a bully.

-Cynthia

Hi, Cynthia and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and congrats on your chicks. This link may be useful at the moment - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Spending time with your chicks will help them to become accustomed to you, but their response to you is quite normal at the moment.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

Welcome to Backyard chickens
frow.gif

Welcome to Backyard chickens Brookefield Cyn!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Your chicks will get used to you. It took mine a while, but they start to associate you with food and all of a sudden, you are their bff.

Thanks for all the kind words. We're still off to a great start. I knew they'd be cute, but I didn't think they'd be this cute. They're just kind of fun and relaxing to sit and watch. My husband built them a kind of wood block little stair/jungle gym leading to a dowel rod roosting pole, and they just hop all around up and down it. It's really funny.

Welcome to BYC from Wisconsin and congrats on the new littles!!!! Don't worry be patient sprinkle some crumbles in your hand and lay your hand flat on the ground they'll come around. I know it can feel like they're terrified and you're torturing them. Yes from their perspective you look more like Godzilla than something to call Mom they'll get there. They usually go through a few Godzilla phases, we call them, before being absolutely sure you are a friend. In fact some of our birds didn't truly calm down and enjoy handling until they matured and started to lay, but most do especially if you have the time and patience to go in and sit down with them, talk softly, move smoothly, and pick them up from the side or below whenever possible to seem less like a predator. I hope to see you around. Beware the chicken bug it's addicting. ;)

Back
Top Bottom