Howdy from a new member

Earl D.

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2017
Howdy everyone
just joined, was looking for info on hatching and found this site, have had chickens on and off for years and this is the first time we tried to hatch any, we have 20 plus a rooster, various types but one sitting hen right now. We keep them for around two years. We have tried to introduce new hens in the past, never worked so we decided to try hatching, will the others kill the chicks if left in the pen?
But like I said, have had chickens for years for the eggs, (which is more then the horse gives), not looking to expand, just looking for information now and then. Name is Earl, from New Mexico, retired Navy,works part time but lives here with my wife and grand daughter

Hi Earl! :frow
Welcome to BYC.

You may want to block off a little section in your coop for the mom and soon to be chicks.

Hi Earl and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

Some members put broody hens in a secure part of the coop, others just let momma brood within the coop, open to the flock. It can depend on the status / rank of the broody bird, among other things.

Hi Earl! :frow
Welcome to BYC.

You may want to block off a little section in your coop for the mom and soon to be chicks.
is this to protect he chicks from the other hens and rooster? I have tried to add new hens and the others killed most of them, will the older ones do this with chicks from a regular hen?

If your older chickens have already killed they will most likely kill the new ones too.

Yes it is to protect the new chicks.

If your older chickens have already killed they will most likely kill the new ones too.

Yes it is to protect the new chicks.
thanks, this bunch have not killed yet, but I didn't know they would kill chicks hatched with them there. will box the sitter and the eggs up, just have to figure out which hens to box, couple sit together on the eggs but only one stays all the time.

Back
Top Bottom