Howdy from California!

jaemard

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2022
Sonoma County, CA
My name is Joe and I'm from California!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've recently developed more of an active interest in chickens due to the space I have available to raise them. Growing up, my grandmother had chicken decor everywhere, so the casual interest has also always been there.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

0! We have more work to do on the house before I will be able to dedicate time to building a proper coop.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Not yet applicable.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I enjoy the hands-on aspect of raising one's own food. Our garden is flourishing with plenty of veggies. I am looking forward to adding homegrown poultry products to my diet.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am an avid musician (trumpet), enjoy making soap, and hope to make a return to bookbinding once we are moved into the house we are rebuilding.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have two cats (one of which adopted me, not the other way around), a ball python, and a Sulcata tortoise! I'm currently working at a school, assisting high needs students with their educational/emotional needs. I'm also in graduate school to be a therapist (which will hopefully lead me to have more time for chickens).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC by searching for chicken coop ideas! I was amazed by the number of posts, posters, and articles on this website. I decided to sign up after reading a long thread about a culling project. I'm hooked!

I look forward to learning from all of you... I certainly have a lot to learn 😁

-J

Welcome to the flock from a fellow Californian. Lots of good info on this site. I hope thou can get your chickens soon, be sure to share when you do.
I can hardly wait. I'm sure my partner is sick and tired of hearing me talk about coop/run design, genetics, breeds, eggs, meat, etc... I'm absolutely captivated by these little feathered fellows!

Back
Top Bottom