Howdy from New Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ZaHen, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:56 PM.

1. ZaHen

ZaHen Chirping

Saturday
    E166E419-93C7-42B9-A1AD-24665C262BE1.jpeg 7E3129AD-4308-44E8-947A-CE1A3D433AB0.jpeg FB7EA828-8A28-4826-8CC1-352A390A20C6.jpeg
    Hello, everyone! Over the years, I’ve found that so many of my search engine, poultry raising questions lead me to this forum with answers, so, I realized that it’s time to join! At this point, I know that I also could be of help to others less experienced than me, and so I can return the favor, too!
    I began hen keeping by serendipity, when an escapee from a nearby farm literally crossed the road, and brought herself to my apartment back door! After days of leaving notes at the house of the farmer to no avail, I contacted a farm animal sanctuary, as I wouldn’t be allowed to keep a chicken in my apartment. Only one problem: I fell in love with the hen I had already named Frida! My dreams of being an urban farmer in the future, by necessity had to become the present! I soon found a house, and through the help of hen keeping friends, gave Queen Frida some sisters. The rest, as they say, is history :love
    I’ve been a hen keeper for almost 8 years, and my current, small flock includes a rescued tom turkey, and 3 ex-battery hens, as well as 4 other, heritage breed girls. All of my girls come to me as adults needing new homes, and they’re here for all their natural lives. No one gets eaten! One of the pix I’ve posted is a before & after of Rosasharn, Mavis & Jubilee - the 3 “spent” battery girls. The top portion shows them the day I brought them home, and the bottom is them very recently. They are Leghorns. My other current girls are Yasmine (Blue Wheaten Ameraucana), Opal (Ameraucana x Pendesenca), Zissel (Black Copper Maran), and Layla (Bielefelder). I’ve had other Bielefelders, a Lavender Coronation Sussex, a Black Jersey Giant, a Cream Legbar, a Minorca x Pendesenca (who was spotted like a Dalmatian dog!), a Barred Plymouth Rock, and a Buff Orpington over these years.
    Although, my flock shall always consist of adult hens needing homes - and I know that will include more ex-battery girls - I do have favorite breeds that I’ve enjoyed having over the years: Jersey Giant, Bielefelder, Ameraucana, Sussex, Cream Legbar, and Maran. Also, living with my tom Ezra, has been a joy!

rjohns39, 007Sean, sourland and 12 others like this.
  2. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC! Thank you for joining us! Your birds are beautiful, thanks for sharing pics!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi & :welcome

Great that you could join us all here! What a lovely intro there. You have a nice flock there too.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome! How nice of you to take them in like that! Good luck with them!

5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Happy Holidays to all my BYC Peeps!

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Howdy! :frow Welcome to our FUNomenal community! Best wishes and have lots of fun with your beautiful flock! :wee

6. N F C

N F C no time like snow time

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    smiley xmas hello.gif

Nice intro, thanks for including the photos too.

It's nice to have you here!

Pork Pie, rjohns39, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  7. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Lucky Queen Frida!!

Pork Pie, rjohns39, 007Sean and 7 others like this.
  8. mitziworm

mitziworm Chirping

Nov 28, 2018
    NSW Australia
    Hi and welcome,
    Thanks for sharing pictures of your lovely flock. Chickens are addictive!
    :frow

9. alexa009

alexa009 Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for more members on the BYC roost! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

10. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello ZaHen.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Now that is dedication, moving so you could keep a chicken.:bow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: