Howdy from New York Zone 6A

tinfoilsoldier

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

My friends and family have always had chickens, but we finally got our own flock in April.

We currently have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock, and 1 Easter Egger variant, all from Tractor Supply. We started with 6, 2 of each breed, but traded the Barred Rock Rooster for another Easter Egger. Unfortunately we suspect that new bird brought some sickness to the flock, as she passed, then so did one of our original easter eggers. We are still trying to get everyone healthy, hence creation of this account instead of just being a reader.

We are not allowed to free-range in our town, but we built the girls a safe enclosure to hang out in based on reviewing lots of youtube videos and addressing problems our friends had with their coops.

We also have a dog and multiple freshwater and saltwater aquariums. I work in IT so I have multiple systems monitoring our fish tanks and generating graphs/alarms. Right now we only monitor the temperature of the chicken coop in 3 places (general air temp, roost temp, and a motion sensor on the roof of the run), but I plan to add some additional temperature and humidity sensors before winter comes.

You can see we had a warm spell Friday, it peaked at 82F but was 45F most of Saturday, and 39F Sunday morning after that!
chickens_grafana.png

Back
Top Bottom