Howdy from Oklahoma!

I joined a few weeks ago and I'm still figuring this site out but I figured I would introduce myself! For the most part, I'm still a noob when it comes to chickens and duck but I'm always willing to learn!
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? : I have owned chickens my entire life! But I know next to nothing about them :\

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? : I own like 5 but I still live with my mother so I help care for all the chickens on the farm and she owns around 200 including the chicks

(3) What breeds do you have? : Barnyard mix for the most part but I own Cochins! They are just too cute and fluffy!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? : All honesty I don't like chickens that much... But I do love sitting with my girls (Even though they are still babies) and petting them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? : I'm an aspiring writer! Kind of, I just like to write.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. : Not much I want to touch on here but I do have a dog, 2 cats, a horse, and a few goats!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? : I've known about this group for a few years but I finally joined because my mother decided to go all out this year with chickens and we have had some health issues with owning a larger flock.
Hi and welcome Cathy from Ohio I'm not new to chickens I've had them my whole life. I have 15chickens 2ducks 6turkeys i have bantams and road islands quail still in the eggs 150 of them 8chick eggs and i have 6geese and 6ducks on the way. I love watching my kids play with them and care for them I'm definitely a huge DIY'r i make baskets, wine and make-up. I'm a sahm i have 3kids they're 6,8,10 we also have 4cats and 1 is pregnant, and 2 beagles fish and frogs. I learned about BYC through my hatchery i also just joined i joined because I don't really have any one to talk to about my chicken issues except my 10yo daughter my husband has no clue and my boys are still lurning

Wow! Thank you all for the warm welcome! I didn't expect this post to get so many responses so soon after I posted it!

There are a lot of reasons I love Cochins! My girls are LF Cochins so they will get big and meaty and still lay some eggs, They are fairly cold hardy and are just a joy to watch!

My mother is planning on getting more Cochins sometime soon but we are having trouble deciding how we should go about it. We have a lady nearby that sells LF Cochin hatching eggs for $50 per 2 dozen, her breeders look great and she cares for the eggs well before she sells them, she has a mix of colors so the babies would be a really cool surprise of different colors. But we also have Cackle Hatchery within a 5-hour drive that sells day-olds for around $4 each and they will all be one color of our choosing, I really like the Silver Laced ones, all of our dealings with that hatcher has been amazing! The chicks come in the mail and are healthy and know how to eat and drink already. It would be much cheaper to get the hatching eggs but there is no guaranty any of them will hatch, where I could spend $100 on living healthy chicks so I know they are alive when I get them.

Back
Top Bottom