Howdy from SW Washington

Bs Peeps

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
I am a new member but I've been using this site for research for nearly two years now. This and YouTube for coop building videos. I think I am finally ready to commit to keeping a few chickens - which says a whole lot about where I'm heading in my life, but you really don't want to hear about all that. ;-) Really appreciate all the info that has been made available by members on this site. For now, I'm hunting down free/used materials to build my project. Hoping to have it done by end of summer. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Best of luck to you!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Definitely stop by our coops pages for lots of good ideas from our members. And if you haven't already done so, you might want to do some reading in our learning center here on BYC. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Hi,
I just officially joined BYC as well from SW Washington. I have done periodic research on the site for a year or so though. I'm very sad that today I lost my first chicken. Her name was Winnie and she was was a wonderful Buff Orpington. I'm trying to do some research on this site to see what in the world happened. She was fine yesterday. This evening I went out to give them some treats and she had her beak agape and could not stand. I ran inside to set up fresh water in my little Rubbermaid crate I use to sequester my under-the-weather chickens and in the five minutes that took, Winnie died. I'm wondering about Marek's disease but not sure it is that abrupt of a death? Can any of you point me the right direction?

Yep, been looking in lots of places for design inspiration. I have a few in mind as well as feeding, watering, and maintenance techniques from other resources.Yesterday I decided my real quandary is siting the coop. One perfect spot, space-wise, is very green and provides afternoon shade, but is highly accessible to unwanted trespassers and not easily visible from within the house; so I have concerns about vandalism and harm to the hens. The other spot I am considering, the one I really want to use..........well, it has issues right now; and they are not going to be resolved until the fall. Ho Hum.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom