Howdy from Texas

jwsmith1959

Songster
Feb 23, 2020
Orchard, Texas
Good to be here. Just bought a place in Fort Bend County Texas. About 6 acres with a very nice chicken coop already on the property. It is about 10' X 50' with a concrete floor, is covered with 18 nesting boxes and a 4x6 ground house on one end. It has water and fenced well enough to keep out furry predators. I will deal with snakes if that problem comes up.

I have not had chickens since I was a kid and honestly, my Mom took care of them then. Had about 100 back then, but I intend to stay small. Around 6-10 laying birds. I plan on a mix of Barred Rock and Rhode Island Reds. Local Feed Store keeps them in stock.

Here looking for advise on getting started and if I am choosing right on the breeds.

Anyway, gonna poke around a bit and absorb what I am sure is some good information.

I have raised cattle most of my life, but sold off all my stock several years ago due to my age and health. Couple of new hips and a few other upgrades and I feel about 10 years younger so I figured why not to chickens. Maybe easier to keep up with than cattle. :D

Thanks again for having me.

Hello and welcome to BYC! This is a great place to learn and share your chicken adventures. I too have Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. They definitely have their personalities. If you don't plan on breeding, I would recommend not getting a rooster. I love my rooster, but he can be a PIA sometimes. He's almost two and still very much a rambunctious boy. Congratulations on your new home and life. Enjoy!

Welcome to BYC!
I'm just down the road from you.

Are you wanting to start with chicks or grown birds?

The Feed Store in Needville gets birds weekly that are about 12 weeks old. Not sure where that puts them age wise. I am near Richmond/Rosenberg in the County about 1/4 mile from the Brazos River. Am quite high, so no flooding worries and the birds will have planty of room to roam. Not sure how long to leave them strictly in the coop before letting them free range in the day.

Just getting started and have not bought yet. Still need to figure some things out with the coop. I think I will keep litter on the concrete floor and collect it as needed to add to the compost pile.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Joel

The Feed Store in Needville gets birds weekly that are about 12 weeks old. Not sure where that puts them age wise. I am near Richmond/Rosenberg in the County about 1/4 mile from the Brazos River. Am quite high, so no flooding worries and the birds will have planty of room to roam. Not sure how long to leave them strictly in the coop before letting them free range in the day.

Just getting started and have not bought yet. Still need to figure some things out with the coop. I think I will keep litter on the concrete floor and collect it as needed to add to the compost pile.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Joel
Hi Joel.
My mom is in Needville, I know the area well.

That store probably gets just one type/breed in.
You can mail order chicks, of many breeds, from Ideal.
They hatch every Wednesday and you'll have them Thursday morning at the post office. Just keep that in mind.

https://www.idealpoultry.com/?gclid...FlBJU5x57Ul791w4e-zpkaFZYPjPM2s4aAi__EALw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom