Howdy from Texas

grrunble

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Hello! I’ve been a lurker without an account for a while now, finally decided to jump in and learn from this lovely community.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I’ve had chickens when I was younger, but this is my first time raising them myself. Can easily say I’m hooked!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Currently I have 25 chooks all on my garage brooder while the coop is being finished, lol. We also have 4 ducks... needless to say, we’re trying to get the coop up and running sooner rather than later! Everyone is younger than 10 weeks or so.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Oh geez. So many, we got two of every kind we came across (being sure they would be alright all together). We have red and black sex links, barred Plymouth Rocks, an EE, Rhode Island Reds, light brahmas, mystic majesty marans, copper marans, and a couple we don’t know for sure.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love how each and every bird has a personality. They’re all so sweet and loving, some more than others! We swore up and down we wouldn’t keep a rooster until our maran came along and is one of the sweetest that loves wattle rubs. I wish I’d known how sweet these birds could be and I’d have gotten them sooner!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We raise black angus cattle that have become my pride and joy. I am currently a college student studying animal science with a minor in equine science, so I stay busy for sure! I enjoy riding the trails on my trusty old mare in what free times I have.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have 2 lovely horses, two dogs, 28 head cattle and a few stray cats I feed. I’m a bleeding heart and take in the throwaways, so we have several rescues on our ranch. Two bottle calves a year apart that were both to be put down are thriving and our kill pen horse is a big puppy dog.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I can’t say how long I’ve known about it as I always would look for threads with similar questions here before I had an account! I love to learn, especially involving what I’m passionate about, and can’t wait to discuss with so many knowledgeable people that are as obsessed as I am, haha!

Back
Top Bottom