Howdy from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by texas2chick, Mar 1, 2014.

1. texas2chick

texas2chick New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    Howdy,

After years of waiting to bring home new baby chicks, I'm finally the proud owner of two baby chicks. Lacy & Penelope have been with us for a little over a week and are two weeks old. Many of my family members have raised chickens over the years. I just always wanted to have my own flock one day. I'm very new to raising chickens. This website & other literature have been very helpful in the process.

Many people told me I was crazy for wanting backyard chickens. We plan to move further out into the country one day. After graduate school, I hope to build a small farm. (This may take several years) Then we plan to build a larger flock & upgrade the chicken coop. :)

Lacy our Silver laced Wyandotte and Penelope our Plymouth Rock have been such a blessing so far. Our Labrador & the two chicks are getting along so far. We hope our Spring into Summer goes great:) [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What cute chicks, good luck with them, and what a pretty dog!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

You will love keeping chickens! They are a very enjoyable critter to keep.

Enjoy all your adventures!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    from Washington state glad you joined us! so, so cute!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. FreeRangePamela

FreeRangePamela Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas Hill Country
    Congrats! We are new, too, and hopefully not far behind, though we're waiting a few weeks to get our pullets. Glad to see the dog and chickens are doing OK -- I'm a little worried about that aspect, myself.

8. texas2chick

texas2chick New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    We slowly introduced our pup to the chicks. She has been great with them so far. It's hard to keep our dog out of the chick feed. Once our chicks are old enough to go out to the coop, I'm sure we will loose less chick feed to the dog.

9. hensfortherapy

hensfortherapy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Liberty Hill , Tx

I trained my Mom's dog with my chickens. Always kept her on a leash among them. She dove after one one time and the hen made so much noise it scared the dog really bad. Every now and then she will chase after one just to make her squawk. I swear that dog smiles when she does that. She loves to come out with me to tend to the chickens even when I don't have food. I think she wants to be a chicken.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by