Howdy from the Texas Hill Country

Just joined a few minutes ago but have been lurking here off and on for several years. We live in the Texas hill country not far from San Antonio. We live on 5.5 acres but only about 2 acres are usable. The rest of it is on a VERY steep hillside which is of no real use. One day before I go to the Great Coop in the sky I will climb this hill and see what is up there.

I have always wanted to have chickens but up until recently we did a lot of traveling which precluded us from having them. Now that I have had my fill of traveling, I have the time to devote to chickens. Last week I received 12 Barred Rock chicks and tomorrow they will be 1 week old. Lost one the first night due to being over-stressed but the rest are doing fine and growing like weeds. I am now focused on completing their outside coop. I plan on having the coop together with a sizable run both located in our fenced backyard which is almost half an acre that I will let them use for free ranging.

That's all about me. What say you?
Hello :)

There's something really lovely about barred rocks. I'm sorry you lost one but that's good going considering you had twelve.

I'm pleased you have finally joined us :welcome

Back
Top Bottom