Howdy Howdy from Texas

Double T

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 11, 2011
W Texas
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? VERY new, ha ha ha Am hoping to get some very soon, as we are moving to a place that has an already established Chicken Coop, completle with nesting/laying(don't know what you call them, lol) boxes and a fenced, cemented, enclosed outside area, safe from the varmits.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 2 rouge chickens that were left by the previous tenants, one is red (and I did get a picture of her), and one is white but you don't see her very often, she's wild, did collect some brown eggs from them today.

(3) What breeds do you have? LOL No idea on the breed, they lay brown eggs

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? another list referred me here (OT for that list, lol)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Oh I have oodles, animals in general, and I also enjoy creating beaded jewelry, it's my extra income for my animals

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well I'm Teresa, wife to a loving hubs, and mom to a very energetic 4 yr old. We live on a ranch that raises certified all natural angus beef. My hubs is a camp man. I'm a housewive and part time gofer for my husband and general helper when he needs it, as well as part time book keeper for a plumber. Always been an animal nut, and had a wide variety of animals. Currently I have and raise miniature horses, and Jack Russell Terriers (although haven't had a litter in a few years), I have 6 minis, one mini donkey that is a rescue, 2 JRT's, my husband has 2 catahoula/pitt cross cowdogs with two kelpie/BC cross pups coming, and a rescue Bloodhound that is just here, he's fun. We also have 5 head of personal owned Qh's and 4 head of ranch owned guys and a host of barn cats, and a few aquarium fish. My 4 yr old will soon be getting a bottle baby reg boer goat to bottle raise and then send back to his aunt with the hopes oh her being good enough for the breeding program and eventually raising him some future show goats. That said I've never been able to have chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese or anything like that, we've always lived places that had a high pop of preditors and no safe coop for them. I tried getting my son 2 easter ducks and we were given 2 turkeys at the same time, a couple of easters ago, and they were the cutest things, we kept them in the house for over a month and my husband built a little pen for them and unfortunatly it wasn't preditor proof enough, and the 1st night, something dug in and killed them. We decided that we wouldn't do anything like that until we had a sure enough safe place. Well now we are being moved from this camp to another with a sure enough safe coop that is already established, and will be there in a month or so, so I'm looking for info and places to get some chickens! I'm full of Questions but I don't think this is the right forum, so will post my q's in the other one and ask, but I'm game to any advice or help anyone can offer. I jsut want some that will lay brown eggs with a few of the Easter eggers thrown in there, and just mainly want them for egg production. I don't know how to clean a chicken like your supposed to for meat, plus think I may get too attatched to them and not want to eat them. LOL

Last edited:
Hello
frow.gif
from Hesperia,Ca and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks everyone! Vivian I'm actually in your neck of the woods in the Davis mnts, Odessa is our nearest 'big city'.

Back
Top Bottom