howdy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by skoell, Sep 15, 2016.

1. skoell

skoell New Egg

Sep 15, 2016
    i figure i should introduce myself first. hi, my name is seth but i also go by century! i live in louisiana.

i've joined this site because today i found a baby duckling in the middle of the road while i was driving. i stopped and chased after it to pick it up because i didn't see a mother anywhere nearby. i haven't had the chance to go anywhere to get things to help care for it, so all it's gotten is a little bread and some water.

i know that giving ducks bread for long-term is bad, but it's the only thing i have at my disposal right now. tomorrow i'm going to be getting some duck feed from somewhere, so it won't be eating bread for very long.

i'll probably be asking a lot of questions on how to care for it!!! i've also named it reuben :3c

anyways, enough about reuben. some stuff about me!!

as i said before, my name is seth or century (or skoell, if you really want to call me that.)

i usually put sunglasses on my emojis ( like B^) and B3 ) because im cool

im pretty gay and i really like to talk to people!!

i have things like skype and steam that i'll give to people upon request

good job if you read all of this!! B3c thank u!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Seth and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Good luck with your duck - nice rescue job. The duck forum is the obvious place to ask questions - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks. Good luck with finding some feed for the duck.

All the best
    CT

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Good on you for rescuing that duckling! For now just keep it somewhere warm and quiet. If it is still quite young you may want to purchase a heat lamp for it.

Try to purchase a starter feed, but a flock raiser or all purpose crumble works as well. Ducklings have high niacin requirements so you should purchase some Brewer's Yeast to sprinkle over the feed as well.

If you want to keep the duckling, you will need to eventually build it a secure coop and run, and purchase a few other ducks to keep it company, as they are very social animals.

If you are not ready for the kind of commitment that's required to keep ducks, then you would do best turning it over to someone who can care for it; if it's a wild species, than an animal rescue would be ideal, and if it's a domestic, then someone who keeps ducks and is knowledgable about them would be just fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Queen Misha's reply hits all the important points, and I agree wholly with him.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Seth, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!! Great to have you in our community!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by