Howdy!

I'll add one thing, we are using deep litter method (fresh hemp in spring then add through summer/fall/winter and fresh cleanout in spring) with hemp in the coop and odor inside and out of the coop is 0... the idea is the composting of deeper litter in the winter will add a natural heat source in our coop which is R23 insulated ;) I don't know what I'm doing FYI I'm just winging it...lol

We do use and prefer hemp bedding and have plenty, do you think it would be better for the birds and easier for cleaning out the run if we layer some hemp bedding out?
You can use hemp. I prefer the larger variety of pieces I get with wood chips. But the layer should be thick enough to cover most of the soil
If so for our run of 160 sq.ft and 26 birds how often should this need a complete change out?
Your run is really small for that many birds. You should shoot for about 15 sq ft per bird.
I've had my current setup running for about 3.5 years and I've never cleaned anything out of the run. As long as it's dry and there is no odor or excess build up of material, you don't need to clean it.
there doesn't seem to be any accumulation of poo in the run currently 6 months in / 3 months with all the birds.
The droppings are getting mashed into the ground. But they will slowly cold compost with organic matter and bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom