Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommywoes, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi there, I'm new to this coop but I've been raising my own chickens for over a year now. Let me tell you a little about me... I'm a mother to 3 very lively children (2 boys and a girl ages 3,2, and 4 months) , 3 horses, 3 goats, 3 dogs and a cat. My backyard chickens came to us Mother's Day weekend in 2010, a wild chicken decide to make her nest in our unused coop. On the day her chicks hatched (12!) our bird dog killed the hen. What can I say my mommy instincts took over and my husband and I ran out and scooped up all of the hatchlings and brought them inside. We made a quick run to tractor supply and came back with everything these chicks would need. We were extremely lucky only 2 were roosters and the rest started laying last year continued through the winter and now that summer is full tilt these beautiful girls are laying like crazy! We're getting a minimum of 12 eggs a day, and had one crazy day with 30 eggs laid... yep THIRTY! Needless to say we've been making a lot of egg based meals, and our friends and family call us when they need eggs.

A few months ago 2 of our hens went broody and I decided to let them keep some eggs, unfortunately the hens have started fighting for a chance to sit on the eggs as well and a few eggs have been broken. I was devastated to find that a chick had hatched and had been killed in the mayhem. So as of today I ordered an incubator kit ( Little Giant complete incubator kit with brooder) and we'll see what happens. Family members are quite eager to have a chance to raise some chicks in hopes they get a hen. Oh and before you think I let the roosters breed with essentially their siblings, I didn't. I actually traded one of the roosters for a Bantam rooster... I can't wait to see the chicks!!
  2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY
  3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Welcome! I think you will like it here, it's one of my favorite places to hang out on the internet!
  5. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Ah I forgot to mention.... our own mini farm is located in Bakersfield, California.

And thanks for the Welcome posts! I have a feeling I might end up spending too much time on here ...[​IMG]
  6. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Good luck! I'm fairly new to chickens... haven't yet incubated eggs. I like 'em as starter pullets if I can get them, but I did get some day old chicks a few months ago... have to admit, could be addicting!
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, mommywoes![​IMG] Cool story about how you got started in chickens! Best of luck! [​IMG]
  9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. I don't think there is such a thing as too much time here, right, agree with me please [​IMG]
  10. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by