Howdy

Titus2Woman

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone! I am so glad that I stumbled onto this forum! I am loving reading all the information and looking at coop designs! I currently do not own chickens but we are planning to get some next year after I spend the winter designing a coop! I do own 2 parakeets and 2 cockatiels though to help feed my love of birds!
smile.png

I am going to be designing a 4x8 coop with an additional 4x8 run. I plan to get approximately 5 chickens. I live in a suburb about 15 minutes south of Cleveland so I have to design with neighbors in mind and I can own ZERO roosters...
sad.png
Over the last 13 years that I have lived in my house we have developed a SEVERE deer problem. So my run will have a second "run" attached to it to encase my square foot garden!
smile.png

I do have a question for everyone. I see so many wonderful designs for coops... I think I want one I can walk in but then I see some really cute elevated ones that people have and they cannot walk in. Is there any reason I would NOT want to be able to walk in mine? Also, I know that I will want to have an automatic pop door... I home school and I am afraid we will start school and I will forget to let the chickens out. BUT, I can't seem to find any under $100... is there such a thing as an automatic door for less than $100???

I keep looking at chicks... I have so much work I can do before I can get them... It is going to be a LONG winter!
smile.png

Hello and welcome! I'm also from Ohio. I live appx 25 minutes south of Canton, the HOF city. Sounds like you've got a great plan. As far as the coop goes, one of those coops that is elevated would be fine as long as you can get in there (Maybe open up the back ) to clean it. I would just make sure that it's easy to open and clean. I was going to suggest you make your run twice as large, but since you're connecting it to the garden, that should be great.

Now, remember, your hens will probably dig up and destroy your tender young plants in the garden, so it's best if you let them into the garden after the plants are well established.

What type of chickens do you think you want? I pick mine up from the Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio. You could probably place an order and drive there to pick them up. It's nice because, as long as you're ordering the large fowl, (not the little bantams), you can order just female chicks. And they have a wonderful variety.

Take care and keep in touch,
Sharon

welcome-byc.gif
from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you with us. I am afraid I can't be of any help with the door, but you might find suggestions in the coop design and building section.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom