Hubby threatening to get rid of the rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smalltowngal, Aug 8, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    So Dixon, our lovely rooster, attacked hubby and drew blood. He's wanting to get rid of him. I admit I am a little scared of him but he's a great rooster for the hens. He will shuffle them in the coop if he thinks there is danger. He will try the food first and spit it out to make sure it's ok. He keeps them all in line and makes sure they're not fighting. He just doesn't like us much. [​IMG] I know he's just trying to keep our girls safe. We adopted him from another family and I think they handled him more. Also, he is molting and a little over a year and I've heard both can make for a cranky rooster. Any suggestions?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Not what you want to hear, but I agree with your hubby. There are too many good roos looking for homes to put up with one that is aggressive to humans. If you ever have any children around it's even more important. Kids running and yelling bring out all of a roos protective instincts and because of their smaller size kids are in real danger of traumatic facial injuries from an aggressive roo.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    slow stewing in a crock pot with savory spices, potatoes and carrots.....

you asked for suggestions.

4. smalltowngal

Apr 26, 2010
    We got him from a family because he's suppose to be a nice, gentle rooster. I think part of the problem is I was hesitant around him. I don't think he started challenging hubby until I started acting skiddish. The family we got him from wanted to make sure he wasn't going to be eaten. [​IMG] We don't let the kids in with the chickens for as much fear for the chickens as we have for the kids.

5. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    If they said he likes to attack, would you have taken him? He might have been a good roo. He might just be expressing dominance or he is being possessive of his girls. What you might want to do is show him who is boss. Let him know his place in the pecking order. Next time he come after you try to pin him down. [​IMG]

6. smalltowngal

Apr 26, 2010
    Quote:I have noticed he's most aggressive when he thinks we're taking away food. He went after hubby when he was taking away water melon rinds. I'm going to try handling him a little more this week.

7. Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    North West Michagan
    I agree with tin man, next time he starts acting like he might attack (dont waite until he accully does) grab him any way you can, scoop him up, in the crook of your arm, & carry him around until he calms down then set him down, if he does it again do the same thing. eventully he will eather run away from people or run up to them to get picked up... make sure hubby does it too not just you or he will only respect you & not hubby... & DONT BE AFRAID! you are several times bigger & stronger than that chicken. keep telling yourself that. Good luck [​IMG] Im rooting for you

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sorry stewpot!

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:totally agree... lots of wonderful roos out there... if you really want to keep him then do try some of the dominance tricks suggested but a good roo should be a joy to ALL! Good luck.

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Contact the people you got him from and let them know what is happening - give them the choice to take him back if they want, before you do any rehoming or stewing.

I have found, if you are intimidated or unsure around a bird (parrot, chicken, raptor), it can and will take advantage – as it reads your body language.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by