Huddle box in brooder

71chickens

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2015
Elk River, MN
So, I am trying to research different ways of providing heat to 20 chicks that I will be getting in February. I live in Minnesota. I am planning to set up my brooder in the garage. It will be draft free, however, the temp is going to be around 35 degrees in there. I have researched the mama heating pad method, which I like, but I'm not sure it would work for 20 chicks. I really don't want to use a heat lamp as I would like the chicks to be on a day night schedule early on. A method I was thinking about would be to create a box in which all the chicks an fit under and secure a black ceramic heat light to it. This would sit in one area of the brooder so that the chicks can duck in and out as needed. That way the "huddle box" will be warm and dark aka perfect sleeping environment. I have not seen many of these when googling. Has anybody tried something similar? I'm really looking for pictures I'll try to find something similar and post it. Just want to see your ideas.

brooder2.jpg

Similar to this...only I would make mine a bit more long lasting.

I haven't seen anything like that before, but it definitely looks like an interesting idea. I'd like to see if anyone else on here has done anything like that.

It's a variation on the mama heating pad method. Chicks born under mom, in the coop, in winter, in Minnesota would be just fine as they can duck back under mom if they get cold. This would simulate that. I would not use the incredibly bright light that they have in this picture but the concept is virtually the same.

Back
Top Bottom