Hudgins and Flock New to BYC

Cajunfilly

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
My first experience with chickens was when I was a young child in southern Louisiana. Family members had flocks. I enjoyed feeding them, collecting eggs, and playing with chicks. I did not get my own little flock until I was 67 years old. My little flock is approximately 6-7 weeks old consisting of one Delaware and four Orpingtons. I have learned a LOT in the short time I have had them. They play games: Keep Away from my Worm, King of the Feeder Jar, Freeze, and Follow the Leader. They like to sit on a shoulder best. I lost one perhaps to Pasty Butt--not sure and another became crippled. She is walking now following my care. I am or have been a wife, mother, school teacher, HSU testing director, grandmother, cook, housekeeper, landscaper, and I was just recently called an Avian Physical Therapist due to Goldie's recovery. Yes, they have names. The Delaware was easy since she is the only one. Her name is Diva Della, and she IS a DIVA. The others all look alike so I couldn't name them until one started growing her cone. Her name became Ruby. She died, unfortunately, after they had a short vacation in Texas. They never left their box. Then the one got sick and was differentiated because she couldn't walk. Her name became Goldie. The others showed their personalities in the Run and then they were awarded names. Diva Della has two very close friends. They are named after my granddaughters, Josslyn and Mila. Then there is very independent Henny Penny. She is her own girl. In the brooder, I have difficulty telling them apart except for Della, of course. They all look alike even Goldie who is much better but not quite up to par with her sisters. I have entered my Hudgins' Flock Album and look forward to sharing and learning more information about taking care of my little flock.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your chick. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. All of my family are teachers as well (although I'm retired now for the past 7 years). Your chickens have some cute names. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) names our hens after Disney princesses. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thank you. I sought the help of my grandchildren for a list of names and then posted the list on FB. Then my FB friends added more great names. Now I don't have enough chickens to go with the names. My flock is--has outgrown their two box brooder. I have been trying to take them out on the few dry, pretty, warmer days to exercise in their Run, which they LOVE. My husband says they are too young for the coop and I say it's time and we can conform the coop easily to fit their needs. He wants me to wait until we get the electric fence to protect them from snakes and other Arkansas animals. Since it is ordered, I guess I can wait for that. Our neighbors' cute little Terrier comes to our fenced in area in which the coop and Run as well as our garden are located. He licks his lips, wines and wants in soooooo bad. He is a precious little dog, but he kills birds. It is nice to know that I have support when I need help or when I can give it.

Oh my, please watch out for the neighbors terrier - he's killed before and he is dying to do so again by your description. Doesn't sound like his owner would keep him at home and in his own yard. Your hubby is right about the electric fence first. I don't expect the fence will stop but, will slow him down while he thinks of appropriate options. At any rate his presence will harass your birds which could affect their laying when they are grown. For now they might get so stressed they will try to fly out of their run and probably end up in his mouth.

Thank you, Kelsie.
frow.gif

I see that you are the Flock Master. My daughter-in-law called me "Chicken Mama" today. LOL!

I see that you are the Flock Master. My daughter-in-law called me "Chicken Mama" today. LOL!

"Flock Master" is a title that BYC gives you when you reach 5000 posts. You will note the title "New Egg" under your user name. That will change to "Just Hatched" with your 25 post. The posting titles are as follows:
from 'New Egg' to 'Just Hatched': 25 posts
from 'Just Hatched' to 'Out of The Brooder: 50 posts
from 'Out of The Brooder' to 'Chillin' with my Peeps': 150 posts
from 'Chillin' with my Peeps' to 'Overrun with Chickens': 500 posts
from 'Overrun with Chickens' to 'Chicken Obsessed': 1000 posts
from 'Chicken Obsessed' to 'True BYC Addict': 2500 posts
from 'True BYC Addict' to 'Flock Master': 5000 posts
When you first join BYC, 5000 posts seems like a long way off, but you will get there before you know it. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom