HUGE balloon under her belly!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie-chan, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Chickie-chan

Chickie-chan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    My barred rock has a huge balloon under her belly! At first I thought she was egg bound but when I gently felt around it didn't seem hard, but squishy inside. So I did some research and found that she most likely has ascites. I promptly went to drain her and found what I was sucking out was dark brown liquid, with some underlying blood. I used an 18 g. needle 1inch long so I was pretty sure I hadn't poked any of her organs. The balloon was HUGE so I thought I was in a safe range too.
    All the other pictures I've seen it was a straw/yellow colored liquid not dark and brown. Has anyone else had a darker color too? Did I accidentally suck out something that was needed?
  2. OwensMommy

OwensMommy New Egg

Nov 25, 2015
    I'm wondering if she has an abscess of some sort. I'm no chicken expert, so I would wait until someone else answers. I am a critical care nurse though, and the drainage sounds like an abscess. I know this is gross, but what did it smell like?

3. ISA brown hen

ISA brown hen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I'd be interested to see how it turns out - one of my red sex links has been feeling a little heavy whenever I pick her up. She is still laying, eating, scratching and acting normal, except that she is reluctant to jump very much. I think I can feel a waterbaloon but as she's so healthly, I'm reluctant to intervene and risk making it any worse...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by