Huge humidity drop during lockdown

Hj0988

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2021
I am hatching silkie eggs and my humidity had remained at 70% for two days and this morning I woke up and it was at 35% 😞 Today is day 20 and no action but chicks looked active and had good air cells before lockdown. I raised it back to 70 but I’m feeling so discouraged. I did have to open the back of the incubator for about 3 seconds to add water. Did I kill these babies? 😭

I am hatching silkie eggs and my humidity had remained at 70% for two days and this morning I woke up and it was at 35% 😞 Today is day 20 and no action but chicks looked active and had good air cells before lockdown. I raised it back to 70 but I’m feeling so discouraged. I did have to open the back of the incubator for about 3 seconds to add water. Did I kill these babies? 😭
Humidity is way higher then what I use. I go no higher then 55% - 65% humidity for lockdown.

No, your chicks are fine. I think you caught the drop in humidity on time. Opening the incubator won't kill your chicks by the way. Sometimes it's necessary to open the incubator.

hygrometer was but not temp. It was just a little lower than another thermometer I have so I figured it was close enough. Wish I would have checked it more closely though.

My personal opinion is that hatch humidity concerns are generally overstated. Broody hens hatch their own clutches from Florida marshlands to southern California desert, and the only tool they have to work with to manage humidity is the moisture in their own skin! Now, a VERY abrupt and long-lasting humidity change to levels way outside the normal parameters might be something to worry about, particularly if it happens when the chicks have started to externally pip. Other than that, not something to sweat over.

My personal opinion is that hatch humidity concerns are generally overstated. Broody hens hatch their own clutches from Florida marshlands to southern California desert, and the only tool they have to work with to manage humidity is the moisture in their own skin! Now, a VERY abrupt and long-lasting humidity change to levels way outside the normal parameters might be something to worry about, particularly if it happens when the chicks have started to externally pip. Other than that, not something to sweat over.
Thank you so much, that’s a very good point. We had one external pip this morning and hear chirps! I was expecting them to be early since they’re silkies but today is 21. 🤞 for more pips.

Back
Top Bottom