Huge temperature spike!?

chickyrookie

Chirping
Mar 4, 2018
Red Bluff, California
I am incubating chicks in my classroom and have been monitoring closely. I have 2 additional temperature gauges and hygrometers in bator. 4 of the 7 chicks hatched 1.5 days early. The other 3 chicks have showed no action since the last by 24 hours.

I candled them and there is no movement (presumed dead). When I put them back, I noticed both thermometers read over 110 degrees. What the heck happened? Everything had been smooth sailing the whole time. What would cause it to jump that high so fast. Humidity had been between 55-70% last few days. It's been tricky trying to keep humidity stable, but the temperature had never been a problem.

I think I cooked the poor lil guys....

I am incubating chicks in my classroom and have been monitoring closely. I have 2 additional temperature gauges and hygrometers in bator. 4 of the 7 chicks hatched 1.5 days early. The other 3 chicks have showed no action since the last by 24 hours.

I candled them and there is no movement (presumed dead). When I put them back, I noticed both thermometers read over 110 degrees. What the heck happened? Everything had been smooth sailing the whole time. What would cause it to jump that high so fast. Humidity had been between 55-70% last few days. It's been tricky trying to keep humidity stable, but the temperature had never been a problem.

I think I cooked the poor lil guys....
We started incubating 11 of our own eggs! Exactly 21 days later TODAY they are starting to hatch! Never did this before, the thing that I had problems with was humidity. We bought a nice incu with temp humidity and days, it also had an egg turner. Temp would fluctuate by about 3 degrees but never went crazy like that! Humidity fluctuated a lot but I kept it about 50 and above by keeping 1-2oz of water in it. I’d say yours might be defective? Poor little guys! Wish me luck! I need to find home for these as I already have 8 layers.

Good luck! I just bought this bator because the last one was defective. I think it was because I kept it in my classroom and the room temperature fluctuated a lot. Lesson learned. At least we got 4 to hatch!

It could have been because of room temperature.

Most schools turn off the heat or AC at 5pm and then turn it back on in the morning to save money. I have read about teachers taking the incubator home with them at night to solve this problem.

The temp spike to 110 is bad if it is long enough to raise the temps inside the egg. Usually the spike is not long enough to do this though

Back
Top Bottom