1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Huh!?!?!? How Did It?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jfulcher, Aug 21, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Ok.. Here's the low down.. I'm a beginner at candling... So don't go harassing me about this.. About 4 days ago give or take I candled my coturnix quail eggs. Thought I saw some clears, about 8. Put them next to the bator, walked away. Asked DH to throw them away. Well he has been turning the bator, and when I went in and saw them there I about threw a fit. Then I saw something that threw me for a loop...... THEY WERE ROCKING!!! [​IMG] Not wiggling.. Rocking... [​IMG] [​IMG] So I hurriedly grabbed them, closed the door, and turned the lights off... Candled them again.. Sniffed them.. Watched for them to move again.. Only 1 smelled odd. Tuesday is hatch day.. So we are in lockdown.. Placed these odd ones in the hatcher, and I am waiting to see what, if anything, happens.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Could be interesting. You must have a warm spot by your incubator if they've truly survived that.

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I know right!? I mean its insanely humid in our house, and relatively warm. I am very interested to see if they hatch! Yet embarrassed I candled wrong.. [​IMG]

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Don't beat yourself up. People do this all the time. My thought is that unless something looks really bad, I leave them in the incubator. I'll move them to one side, but leave them in. YMMV [​IMG]

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm with SkyWarrior here. I candle at 6 days for chickens and 10 days for ducks, but usually all I do is mark the 'fertile' ones with a tick and the 'infertile' ones with a cross, then put them all back in till the second candling, at day 12 for chickens and day 20 for ducks. This time I'll remove the (by now very obvious) clear ones, and see how my ticks and crosses did. Often I'm wrong, especially with darker eggs. I love it when I get to the end of an incubation and an egg with a little cross on it hatches out a perfect chick. So I don't like to take out any supposed duds too early...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by