Humane Euthanasia - I had to put one of my girls to "sleep" tonight

chick4chix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2009
So Cal
After weeks of trying to treat this poor girl, I finally came to the conclusion this afternoon that she was not going to recover. I think making this decision should have probably been done two weeks ago, but I kept putting it off thinking she "might" turn around. Today when I saw that she couldn't even eat, could barely walk, and was trying to hide in a hole from the other girls (she being at the bottom of 6 pullets in pecking order) I decided to humanely euthanize her using the dry ice method I had gratefully read about on another post here. It worked exactly like they said- she just drifted off into chicken heaven. She was 10 months old.
hit.gif

I set it up ahead of time by using a rubbermaid type container with a wire basket along the bottom for separation over the dry ice- then put fresh hay down on top of the basket. I waited until she put herself up to roost- then gently picked her up off the roost (she was already mellow and ready to sleep) and set her into her new hay "bed" where she immediately snuggled in- I put the lid on and never heard another noise- not a peep- nothing- she just went to sleep. I peeked in on her about 20 minutes later and she looked like she was asleep in the hay.
It's never a pleasant experience to lose an animal, but this was so humane, it made me feel almost good about it because I know she won't be suffering anymore. There was absolutely no stress - on her or on me- I'm very grateful to whoever posted it, but I'm still sad, but happy she will not suffer anymore.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she went very peacefully, and like you made every effort to treat her before making this difficult decision.
hugs.gif
My thoughts are with you.

Thank you Lurky and Silver Phoenix for your kind words.
It was hard, but as I said the dry ice method was truly the most humane way I have ever witnessed.
Part of animal husbandry is accepting the inevitable loss of an animal whether it be by culling, predator, disease, raising the animal for meat, or natural causes). Having said that however, I believe it is our responsibility to not only insure they live a good life in an environment as close to their natural instincts as possible, but also that they do not suffer.

Quote:
I think you just said it perfectly! How kind you were to be willing to let her go and it sounds like you did it in such a loving and humane way!
I think we all could take a lesson from the fine example you've set here. Kudos to you and many hugs!
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss. This is something I do not look forward to, but I know, sooner then later it will happen to me too. I have never heard of this dry ice method. Could you please send me a link to it , or explain in more detail how this is done. Again my heart goes out to you.

Thanks chicken chaperone - it was very peaceful.
Marionsimeri I cannot remember where I saw this but I know it was on a thread somewhere on BYC. To find it again try typing in a search for "dry ice euthanisia" I'm sure mulitiple posts will come up. I explained in my post how I did it- by using a large rubbermaid type container with a lid and putting the hay "nest" into the bottom (keeping a wire basket over the ice so as not to ice-burn the chicken) it used the chickens natural instincts to go into their dark place to sleep- and since I waited until she had put herself to bed, she was already super mellow and ready to go to sleep. (people always say this is the best time to move a chicken for anything since they are almost in a "dream like state" anyway).
So when I picked her up she only barely chortled at me then nuzzled right down into the hay and was happy when I put the lid on so she could be back in the dark. I used a 5lb piece of dry ice- because that was all they had, but it would have worked with a much smaller piece.

Below I have copy/pasted a piece from another site that explains in more scientific language.

Of those methods for euthanasia approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) 1, the only method that could be used safely at home involves the use of carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is heavier than air and nearly odorless. In low concentrations (7.5%) it is an analgesic (pain reliever), and at medium concentrations (30%-40%) it can be used as an anesthetic, causing rapid loss of consciousness without struggling, distress, or excitation. 3 At high concentrations (>80%) CO2 causes quick death.

Last edited:
*hugs* Sorry for your loss, it sounds so sweetly thoughtful and caring, I know it was hard. Thank you for posting and sharing.

I, too, am sorry for your loss - It is so hard to lose any friend, human or animal.
I have unfortunately lost a couple of girls, and it is sad - as they each had such wonderful personalities! Thank you for explaining the humane way you dealt with it - I now feel better knowing of a kinder way to approach this issue.
I agree with you - I think it is our responsibility to ensure the safety and great quality of life, that these animals deserve, if we decide to include them in our lives.
I hope you know you did the kindest thing for her - take comfort in that.

Thanks SO much for the first hand account of this experience. Though what you went through was horrible, many of us will also (sadly) benefit from your knowledge. I had been struggling with trying to decide what would be the best way to euthanize if I ever had to, and this sounds like the best method. I know of a local store that sells dry ice, so I believe this could be done.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but again, many will benefit from this...

Back
Top Bottom