humanely dispatching a badly injured bird

Nandinaberry

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I am the kind of person who catches insects and spiders inside the house and lets them go outside, so the thought of having to kill one of my ducks that I'm keeping for eggs is just horrifying. But I feel I need to be prepared for what might happen if one of my birds was badly hurt by a hawk, raccoon or possum and there was no hope of recovery. I think I should be able to act quickly to end their suffering, but have no idea how to do it, or how to prepare myself mentally for it.
I would appreciate your thoughts and help.

I'd say a good sharp ax is probably the way to go, at least for me. Have a thick scrap of wood or handy tree stump at the ready. Or slit the throat with a good sharp knife.

This gets discussed in our meat birds forum from time to time.

I've never had to put down a goose, but we have had a few chickens that needed it :( My family uses a gun, with good aim I feel confident that it's a quick death.

If you are squeamish like me...plus not sure that I want eyes looking at me and how long does brain live after decap? You can cover birds head with a bag, and use a sledge hammer> The blow will knock them out, and kill if you repeat,if not so great aim. And you won't have to 'see them'...I had a badly injured duck on a Friday night..out in country....and didn't want to deal with bloody mess.....I felt the blow was kinder....

Back
Top Bottom