Humididty Issues?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CobraFnD, Oct 7, 2011.

1. CobraFnD

CobraFnD Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    Could I tell if I had any humididty related issues from candleing? I have 13 still in the bator, and they look the same as they did to me... The air sac is still there, and takes up a little less than 1/4 of the inside of the egg. I had read somewhere about fluid in the air sac, and I held the light on the air sac end, and rotated the egg side to side, and there was nothing moving at the bottom of the sac, just you could see the lining move where it starts the chick, and it only move slightly... It is only day 23, and I do not want to start disecting eggs just yet, but is it normal to get half of them to hatch in an 8 hour period on day 19/20, and then be several days later before the rest hatch? Also these were shipped eggs, and I started with 52, with only 23 making it to lockdown. Sorry for all the questions... just want to get more out of this if there is still a chance. If I need to post pics, let me know what you need to see!?

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    It does sound like your aircells are not large enough and at this stage there should a distinct dipping down one side and shadows moving in the aircell. What humidity were you running at?

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My experience with my own hatches is that if all the eggs are the same breed, from the same source, and roughly the same size, any that are going to hatch will all hatch within 36 hours of each other, and more usually, within 24 hours. I've never had some hatch out then waited a few days and then had some more hatch out.

Of course, if your eggs are different breeds or from different sources, they might still have a chance of popping out healthy...

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I set different breeds and they all hatch out usually within a couple of days.

5. CobraFnD

CobraFnD Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    All of these eggs are same breed same source. Humidity ran 50-60, during the first 18 days, increased it to 70 for lockdown. Once everything started hatching it raised to about 75. Now the ones that did hatch, hatched on the night between day 19 and 20.

6. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    60 is a little high for the first 18 days.

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I have to agree that the humidity does seem too high [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by