1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidifier with essential oils good for new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rkervell, Jan 20, 2016.

1. rkervell

rkervell New Egg

Jan 20, 2016
    I recently had the pleasure of getting my first baby chicks. Three Rhode island reds and two Barred Rocks. I live in Arizona where it is quite dry and like keeping a humidifier with essential oils (for a nice smell) in the room where I now house my chicks. I stopped using the humidifier prior to putting the chicks in the room and haven't used it sinceI am probably being neurotic, but I would like to be safe than sorry. Would the use of the humidifier and essential oils be bad for the chicks health? Any thoughts or experiences on this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Personally, I would not. Bird's respiratory systems are incredibly sensitive. I have ARD, and would be gasping for breath, and hanging my head out a window, if I was in your house with EO being pumped into the air (no offense intended) and I know that birds are even more sensitive. When I'm incubating, or brooding chicks in the house (chicks go out to the coop after the first 2 - 3 days) I won't use ANY teflon, and am super cautious about any cooking or other odors in their environment.

1 person likes this.
  3. rkervell

rkervell New Egg

Jan 20, 2016

Thank you! That is very good insight.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by