Humidity and Oxygen during lockdown

Inharmony

Songster
11 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Hello,

I'm using a Brinsea Maxi 24 advance for the first time. I went into lockdown last night and have been working on raising the humidity all day today. I did a dry incubation with what looks like good air cells developed and all eggs made it to lockdown!

My question: is oxygen or humidity more important right now? I'm having a hard time getting the humidity up based on my blue tooth enabled temp/humidity sensor that I put in with the eggs. Both water pots (the ones that are part of the incubator) inside are full.

I have closed the little air vent dial to less than half and am still only at 59.2% humidity. I know usually you leave all vents open for oxygen during lockdown so I don't want to close it more. But is humidity more important?

It does have a fan so does that do enough to exchange air in this model?

I had used this blue tooth humidity reading device with my last hatch in another incubator with other humidity readers and they were all close to the same range so I think it's fairly accurate.

To answer your question oxygen. Eggs require oxygen to develop and even more to hatch because of how strenuous it is. Think of it like trying to workout in a box that doesn't have enough oxygen. I personally have found that most of the humidity recommendations online are way too high for both hatching and lockdown. Open all vents and don't worry as much about the humidity. My last chicken hatch I dry incubated and kept the humidity between 40-50% for lockdown. 100% hatch rate. My hatch rates for ducks as well went up considerably when I disregarded what everything online had to say, dry hatched and used the same 40-50% lockdown humidity. I also keep vents 100% open through the entire incubation process.

Back
Top Bottom