Humidity - day 20!

Blue Man Dan.

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Caernarfon, North Wales, UK
Hi guys, My humidity is around the 56% mark at the moment, is this ok for hatching or should i take it up a little?

thanks
big_smile.png

Humidity is a hard one because so many people get so many different results. I like the humidity in the mid-60's during lockdown. I've had decent results with that. I did shrink wrap a chick once by opening the incubator during lockdown so I do think decent humidity is important. If it were me I would have had it higher since starting lockdown and I would certainly up it now.

If they went in on Saturday the 3rd, then the "official" hatch date is Saturday the 24th. If the average incubator temperature is a bit warm, they will be a bit early. If it is a tad cool, they will be a little later, maybe as much as two days. Hatching is not an instantaneous process. The actual hatching can take several hours for one egg from pip to zip to completion. And they don't all hatch at exactly the same time. There is no specific answer to your question.

If they are rocking and rolling now, you may already have some pips on the bottom where you cannot see them. It may still be a couple of days before you see any. You are several hours ahead of me by time zone. I would not at all be surprised for you to wake up tomorrow morning with a few completely hatched, but it could easily be a day later. I'll subscribe and see what you report when I log on tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom