Humidity during lock down after dry incubation

Mrjames3813

Hatching
Apr 17, 2016

I dry incubated for the first 20 days of bobwhite quail. The humidity was 25%-30%. Today I removed the turner and put the eggs in a tray with nonslip shelf liner and added a small 3x3ish water pan in the corner with a sponge. The humidity jumped to 80% in 30 min! The window is forged up a little around the edge. Too much? If so how to lower it? Smaller dish?

Well what happened?!? I just got done incubating some bobwhite eggs. Diidn't quite get that hatch I was hoping for. Course all mine were shipped eggs but I'm still trying to get as close to perfect on my end as I can! Curious to how well the dry incubation and bobwhite work out. I kept my humidity 60-75% the last three days. Had some fully developed then died some of said would internal pip then die or some were fully developed but didn't pip at all. One internal pipped and external pipped then died! Might think it's just how it goes but had the exact same scenario play out with a batch of coturnix quail too so I'm thinking something on my end needs tweeked.

Last edited:
I just did my first ever hatch of anything. Dry incubation of Coturnix in a still are little giant with a rotate tray. i was down to 20% a couple times. on lock down i was 60-80. I had a 58.3%'hatch rate. I had one internal pip, one bottom pip, and 2 got to dry i think. I was happy with that hatch rate for my first time so i did not disect the eggs, but from what i cold see when candleing the rest never developed some were small. I go 14 for 24 ebay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom