Humidity for Ducklings?

tgperg

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
Oklahoma City
OMG! I had a broody duck abandon her nest and I thought all her eggs would die. I bought a 'bator and shoved them in anyway. They've pipped internally! I didn't think they were ready yet because I thought these were eggs that got added after the clutch was set. I went to candle and try to decide if I should put them into lockdown. They didn't get lockdown! Ack! I cranked the humidty up. Am I doing this right? Never used a 'bator before. Never had ducklings before. ACK!

Traci

Your doing fine. High humidity isnt really needed until after they externally pip so your fine to raise it now after internal pip.
Keep your temp around 99 now and humidity above 65-70.
It can take several days after internal pipping before they hatch.
They'll start moving around quite a bit and making noise if you talk to them.
The longest time seems to be from first external pipping to hatch.
Seems like it takes forever with no progress but rest assured they're working hard on getting ready for life outside the egg.
They need to learn to breath air then absorb their yolks before they hatch so try not to intervene.
Fantastic sticky on the goose boards explains in great detail what happens during each stage and what to look for.
Good luck and enjoy your little ones.

All I've ever read about ducklings is that the humidity needs to be higher then chicks. since I keep my chicks for lock down on 65%, I'd say go above 70% at least. but I'm sure you can google this!!! It has always helped me.

GOOD LUCK

At lockdown for my duck eggs humidity is 80+ place a couple wash cloths in the bottom of bator(get wash cloths wet in very warm water then ring out water but not too much then place in bottom of bator you can put them in a container or just like they are.) plug vent holes for humidity also. then keep bator closed untill hatch is done. might take longer than 28 days(mine have taken 3&4 days longer) good luck with your hatch ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom