Humidity has dropped to 55% during lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by InsaneBreeder, Oct 1, 2010.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    On day 18 I raised the humidity to 65%, and it has maintained that until today. It is now day 20, and about 1/4 of the chicks have started pipping, but the humidity has dropped to 55% during the past few hours and none of the chicks are making progress, and I am worried that they are sticking. I have considered quickly opening the incubator to add more water, but I am very hesitant to do that. What should I do?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Don't open the 'bator. If you have a styrofoam incubator like a hovabator, you might be able to do what i do and add water through the vent holes. Every area is different, but hopefully a comfort, i hatch at 55% on purpose and have excellent hatches, so hopefully this won't be a problem for you.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Try not to open it. 55% is about what I use for hatching--otherwise, it's about 40%. I've had to go to 26% during hatching and everything did okay after I added water. I did open the lid (I had to) but added warm water and shut it quickly.

4. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Thanks for your advice. I was able to locate a syringe and a straw, so I added water through the egg-turner-cord hole. So the humidity came up to 73%, and three have hatched [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by