Humidity Headaches/Newbie At Incubation

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
Hello, I am brand new to hatching eggs with an incubator as I always get a broody hen in early summer. This year I bought an incubator (Smart Incubator) which now I’m realizing you get what you pay for 😕. My issues: 1. I am on day 8 and just received a thermometer/hygrometer in the mail. I put it in and the temps are great (99.5-100.5) but humidity is 70%??? The instruction manual said to fill 2 of the water channels day 8 so I did that and then added the hygrometer right after. Is this the problem? Is that high humidity hurting the eggs? 2. I am researching and reading a lot and people are mentioning vents on their incubators. Where would I find this if mine had one? Is it possible it doesn’t have one?? The incubator got mostly positive reviews with good hatch results. I’m just used to it he hen doing everything and I’m a little stressed 😩 pic is the incubator I purchased for an FYI.

Attachments

• IMG_8740.jpeg
    IMG_8740.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 39
70% humidity for a short time will not hurt the eggs. When I first add more water to the incubator it will sometime splash a little and this can cause a spike in the humidity. If the humidity doesn't go back to 45 to 55% in a few hours I will slightly open the lid to let some humidity out. :old

70% humidity for a short time will not hurt the eggs. When I first add more water to the incubator it will sometime splash a little and this can cause a spike in the humidity. If the humidity doesn't go back to 45 to 55% in a few hours I will slightly open the lid to let some humidity out. :old
Thank you for your fast response. 😍

I’m having the same problem with my new Sailnovo incubator for my 30 quail eggs. It has the stand for a bottle of water that is supposed to maintain the water level. This model only shows temperature. I purchased a Humidistat/thermometer and placed inside the incubator and since then the humidity has not read below 74% and there was a lot of condensation on the inside of the lid. I removed the water bottle, wiped the lid and drained the pan and still it only dropped to 71%. I’m not sure where the best spot is to place the humidistat in order to get the most accurate readings. I tried it in the center of the egg rack and on the edge of the tray closer to the lid. It didn’t seem to matter where it was still reading high humidity. I bought a second model humidistat with a probe and it reads the same. I’m at day 5 and I really want to make this work. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom