Humidity in my incubator won't increase?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AALEX621, Aug 1, 2011.

1. AALEX621

AALEX621 New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    Hi i am trying to put my eggs in lock down because today is their 18th day...I added a wet sponge in a bowl under a tray that the eggs are on and thr humidity is now at only 42% !!!!! i am freaking out trying to get it at 75% right now and nothing seems to work! I even put in a cloth wick! If anyone knows what to do then please help!! Thank you!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You're on the right track with the wick--just think bigger!

Use a1/2 sheet of paper towel rolled into a tube and stuck into a small container of warm water (bater temp). Many use a baby food jar; anything that size will do. You may need a few of these. It's about the surface area of the rolled paper. Use a paper napkin if need be. You get the idea.

THe RH will fluctuate a bit until it stabilizes.

Good luck!

3. morgakl2

morgakl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    You may be doing what I did. I bought a new digital thermometer/hydrometer. It's the kind that has a wire that can be run out side, so you can have a indoor and outdoor temperature reading. Well, I thought the humidity gage was on the end of that wire with the outdoor temp. So, I had the wire running inside the incubator with the base outside the incubator. I had wet paper towels all over the free surface of that bator and water pools filled, but still couldn't it the humidity above 44%. [​IMG] it was like someone had turned on a light bulb in my head. I picked up the base/digital readout, breathed hot breath from my mouth into the opening on the back side and the humidity shot up to 70%. I now have the entire digital thermometer/hydrometer sitting in the bator. I hope this "duh" moment helps someone besides me.

4. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I always add more sponges, and that usually helps... as long as I get my humidity above 50 I always get a good hatch rate. [​IMG]

5. AALEX621

AALEX621 New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank you!!! Your posts were all helpful! I was able to get it at about 54% for now.. I covered up some of my vent space that i had because i think i was losing to much humidity/air through there (made my own forced air incubator). Tomorrow i'll try to add more wicks i think! Thank you! [​IMG]

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    If you will put your water under your fan just enough so you can see the water barly moveing it will go up also.

7. AALEX621

AALEX621 New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    Oh that's a good idea thanks! [​IMG]

8. Dougs chix

Dougs chix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Waynesville, NC
    What if it's a still air incubator? I can't get my humidity above 60% is that good enough to hatch? I am using the still air little giant incubator

9. eggmother

eggmother New Egg

Feb 12, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I have been playing with the plugs, and adding damp towels. I'm in Los Angeles and it's pretty dry here so I'm finding I have to add water to my troughs quite a bit. I'm at a whopping 75%!! If the humidity should go back down (as it often does) I'm considering putting a warm mist humidifier in the room with the incubator. I've also heard a pan of water under the incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by