Humidity issues!

Mintymint

Hatching
Feb 25, 2020
We have a hova bator we got from a friend which no matter how much water I put in there humidity stays at 35% and I have 2 different thermometers in there. That are a few % between both readings.
Any ideas anyone?

Welcome to BYC!
Hello Chick.gif
Are you using the plastic tray with water wells that comes with the Hovabator or something else? Humidity is going to be based on the surface area of water not the amount. So if you fill more than one well with water that is what should increase the humidity.

Welcome to BYC! View attachment 2035507Are you using the plastic tray with water wells that comes with the Hovabator or something else? Humidity is going to be based on the surface area of water not the amount. So if you fill more than one well with water that is what should increase the humidity.

Hey! Thanks for the reply!
Yes it's the tray that comes with. So i started off with one well the 2 then 3 them all 4 and it all reads the same on both monitors. It's so frustrating!

Hey! Thanks for the reply!
Yes it's the tray that comes with. So i started off with one well the 2 then 3 them all 4 and it all reads the same on both monitors. It's so frustrating!

If you're within the first 18 days of incubation a lot of people have great success starting with lower humidity anyway by monitoring the air cell size as it grows or the weight loss of the eggs. You can also try using a wet sponge to increase humidity. When I used my styrofoam incubators I had the best success with incubating with low humidity in the first 18 days and then increasing it for the hatch by using a sponge or two.

I have several Hova-Bators and it seems odd that filling those channels doesn't raise the humidity above 35%. 🤔 Are you in a very dry place?

I have two 1588s running right now and have been using a thin slice of new sponge (not a lot of spare room in there with the turner) to help maintain humidity where I want it. I use larger pieces in my 2370 (hatcher) to raise the humidity and maintain it overnight during the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom