Humidity Question and Duck Eggs - Kebonixs 12 egg incubator

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
This is my first effort at incubating poultry, have 5 duck eggs (none of the chicken eggs were fertile) in a Kebonix 12 egg incubator (Here on Amazon), picture below. Its substantially identical to most of the other round, 12 egg incubators, and I've been generally pleased with it, particularly its ability to hold temperature - 99.5 for all but a few minutes, in total, over the last three weeks, in spite of big temperature swings in my RV.

On humidity, however, I'm less pleased. I live in FL, its almost ALWAYS humid. At times, the outside air (and thus, the air in the RV) has been more humid than I wanted. But the cold front we got this week has stripped all the humidity out of the air - in spite of adjusting the little vent to hold more moisture in, and keeping the reserve water filled, my humidity has dipped to high 20s (28+) and low 30s percentages overnight several times in the past few days. New to this, didn't even think about checking humidity as the cooler air came in. I'm using a dampened paper napkin to keep humidity up now, but have concerns about the effects of a few nights of really low humidity.

Should I start preparing for the worst, or am I being needlessly pessimistic about my hatching chances???

[I have tried candling - the eggs **seem** to be developing normally, but they have reached the point where they are so dark I'm not able to see movement in the egg, just a growing air bubble near the point]

1604507252101.png

I wouldn't fret too much. Humidity isn't a set number and will vary greatly under a hen as well.
They eggs have been in 3 weeks? Have you candled to see what the air cell is doing?

More of an average for humidity than a set number on any given day, is important. :) if you’re tracking weight loss or marking air cells, you’ll have a good idea of where you’re at and can compare to what they should be at this stage of the game.
to increase humidity, a wet sponge or a small container stuffed with wet paper towel usually works for me, so long as the turner is off anyways. (Great for closer to hatch day!)

I’ve found that most duck eggs are pretty resilient when it comes to a short term change like this, so you probably will be just fine. Better that it dropped in this late stage than early on. If you candle and take pics of your air cells feel free to share! :)

Thank you @ChickenCanoe @Trisseh . I've not photographed, though they have well developed air cells (whose growth I have not been marking), as the rest of the egg is too dark to be useful, and my cell phone is also my internet connection. One of my 5, I'm reasonably certain I have lost, as an embryonic dinosaur is evident therein, floating in a sea of clear/white. No movement. I'm guessing some genetic or dietary issue that their just wasn't enough yolk to support all 28 days of development.

But I'll make another effort, if I can find a bright enough point source.

and I have been supplementing with a dampened paper towel to try and raise the humidity, since discovering the problem. The turner tray comes out soon. Eggs went in on Oct 14th and 15th, so we are 1 day into week 4 presently.

Would also like to know. Have 6 eggs in the kebonnixs but humidity has not been a problem. Nothing really has pretty smooth incubator. Have 6 eggs pipped at this moment and can't wait. On day 26 idk if that's a little to early for pips

Would also like to know. Have 6 eggs in the kebonnixs but humidity has not been a problem. Nothing really has pretty smooth incubator. Have 6 eggs pipped at this moment and can't wait. On day 26 idk if that's a little to early for pips
if its duck eggs than that sounds on track, they take FOREVER to hatch from pip

Back
Top Bottom