humidity question for those who've hatched out goose eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tebs78, Mar 21, 2008.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I was told by the people whom I bought my goose eggs from that from thier experience the more humidity the better and to crank it up more 3 days before hatching. Ok well today is Hatch day, and the humidity seems to be going high all on its own!! I have the R-Com 20 and from my understanding there is no vent to pull. I have it turned down to 65% but its keeping at 80% on its own, do you think thats too high? Or is that the eggs doing that?

2. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I have never hatched any but have some ordered and from what I have read you are supposed to keep the humidity at 50% - maybe someone experienced will step in and help here.:|

3. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    yeah I am baffled as it has not done this on any other hatches, but they were chickens...gosh I want to go home and check my eggs!!! My husband wont be here for another hour or two and we have to ride home together or he doesn't have a car to get home. we are about 30 miles from home, lol.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    The R-Com is programmed to produce the right conditions.

Presumably you have it set to *Goose* and it's following it's internal programming.

Unless you get a qualified alternate view, I'd leave it alone.

I haven't hatched goose or duck eggs for a few years, but do recall the humidity is considerably higher for water fowl than for land based species.

It sounds ok.

5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    That is fine for goose eggs. You should have it to 75 for chickens on the last 3 days. Goose eggs are so thick that 80% is fine for them. Jenn

6. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks, I don't have the R-Com professional so its not set on any paticular breed. I just set the temp and humidity...

glad to know it sounds oka

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by