Humidity question...HElP!

sheps4her

Songster
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Guilford County, NC
I am trying to test run my incubator. The problem I am having is with the humidity. I can't seem to get the humidity in the 40-50 range. When the incubator is closed, it goes up to 85%!!
ep.gif

When I open the incubator the humidity goes down to 49%. If I take the hygrometer out of the incubator is stays around 49-50%. I have 2 ventilation holes open and I have an Autowater tube which I have the end open as well, so it counts as a ventilation hole also. The funny thing is , I started out with water in the pan, but since the humidity was so high, I took ALL water out and it is still running at 70% humidity! I don't understand it. Any help would be appreciated.

Which incubator are you using, and have you calibrated your hygrometer?

I have a still air LG, and humidity is one thing I have down, haha. Just adding a 1 1/2 teaspoons of water in the tray keeps the humidity between 30-40%. I have one vent plugged, and the other one is open with an aquatic tube running through it (to add water to the tray without opening the bator).

I have a home made bater - "Gopher boy style" It has not had any water at all in it all day and it is still at 70ish%. I have not tried to calibrate it though..
hmm.png
When I open the bator the humidity drops to 49% and as soon as I close it it starts going up. I just don't understand how when there is no water in it...

Quote:
correction, there is water in there..actually more surface area than before you dumped your water.. the channels are still wet..

wait until they dry off and then the humidity will come down..

channels? The pan is completely dry to the touch, and the sponges were removed when the water was dumped...everything feels dry. Also, I can't get the temperature higher than 90 degrees... any thoughts?
idunno.gif

Quote:
my mistake i am used to talking about LG. anyhow if your hum was so high, there still is a lot of moisture in there.. You cannot feel it with your fingers.. now you will have to get your help from someone else..

If I understood you correctly, you haven't got eggs in it yet, is that correct? I hope so.

What's your heat source? If you can't get the temp above 90F, whatever the heat source is, it's not enough. If you're using any kind of light bulb, you need a higher wattage. Not a lot higher, it sounds like, but a bit.

Do you have fan in your bator? If not, perhaps you should install one before you start incubating.

What's the ambient humidity in the room? If the humidity in the bator drops when you open, the room hum is probably fine. You could let the bator sit overnight, turned off and left open, to let any remaining moisture evaporate, then try it again, after you correct your heat problem.

Back
Top Bottom