Humidity question please help

derricknapril

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Oxford, GA
I have a little giant still air with auto turner. What does the humidity need to be during incubation, and then what does it need to be for hatching? Thanks so much

I found some information for you about the humidity...

This is plain and simple, yet the MOST important part of hatching.

Still-air incubator (no fan):101.5 degrees measured at the TOP of the eggs.

Fan Forced incubator: 99.5 degrees measured anywhere in the incubator.

Humidity: 60-65% for the first 18 days, 80-85% for the last 3 days.

You can sneak by with humidity numbers that aren't very accurate, but the combination of poor humidity and temperature will definately cause problems at hatch time. If your temperature is not accurate you will DEFINATELY have problems at hatch time. The bigger the deviation from the proper temperature, the bigger your problems will be!

I found this on the following website...
http://shilala.homestead.com/incubating.html.

I try to follow this but sometimes it can be very difficult. I am still trying to figure out better ways to reach my goal of 100% hatch myself. Hope this helps!! '

big_smile.png
Good Luck hatching !!!
big_smile.png

Thank you so much that helps alot! Yea I lost my first batch I believe to my humidity. I didnt have a humidity gauge and just going by the bator instructions as to how much water to add. I have bought a temp and hum them digital from walmart to check to see how it is going to do next time! Thanks again!

yeah...those may be a little high(previous post from me)...last batch i did was about 45 on days 1-18 and then 65-70 on the last 3 days+. I just wasnt quit sure because my last batch only 5 out of 20 eggs hatched(more were fertile and developed but did not make it to the end). They were shipped eggs so I wasnt sure if it was due to low humidity or if it had to do with shipped eggs. Anyways, Im still learning and going to do another batch at the end of this month or beginning of next month.

I am not trying to discount what's being said here, maybe just offering a second opinion?

My Little Giant instructions say 102 degrees at the top off the eggs. I have hatched chicks in it two times and each time they hatched on day 21, so 102 at the tops worked for me!
smile.png

For still air, I recommend 101-102 temps and 55% humidity during the first 18 days, then increase to 65-70% the last 3 days of incubation. I agree ventilation is important, and special attention for still air units is warranted if you have if full. If you are only setting a handful of eggs, ventilation becomes less of an issue in these units.

Back
Top Bottom