Humidity recommendations for hatching silkie eggs

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Hello!
I live in Canada where it is cold and we are well into winter! The air is very dry. I am wondering what level of humdity is most recommended to keep the incubator at for the first 18 days? From what I understand I cannot use the dry method, as the air is not humid where I am living during this time of year!

Thanks for the advice!

How long can one store fertile eggs safely?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem. 15 F and 90% humidity.

I strive for something around 40% but I use the weight method since most of my eggs are either very thick shelled or very dark and don't lose moisture quickly.

An egg should lose about 15% weight during incubation so if you weigh the eggs when set and then each week it will give you a good indication if you need more or less humidity and adjust accordingly.

About halfway down this link there is more information.

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/humidity.html

Hello!
I live in Canada where it is cold and we are well into winter! The air is very dry. I am wondering what level of humdity is most recommended to keep the incubator at for the first 18 days? From what I understand I cannot use the dry method, as the air is not humid where I am living during this time of year!

Thanks for the advice!

How long can one store fertile eggs safely?

Thanks!!
In VERY dry areas I would try for 35% humidity. HOWEVER I would either chart air cells or weigh the eggs to make sure the humidity is good for your area, you may need higher or lower. The whole point of humidity is to keep those air cells on track, so start at 35 and go up or down depending on what the air cells are saying.

Yes, I am incubating silkie baton eggs, they are tan colour shells and they seem pretty easy to candle. So I should strive for 40 percent humidity?

How long can I store fertile silkie eggs for, before lugging them in the incubator? As I want to set the eggs on Sunday, Dec 15th, so the first eggs that I held back will be 12 days old. I hope it won't be too old. I have have been turning thrm see real times a day!

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
If stored in proper conditions you can store them up to 10 days, but most people try to use them within 7. I think that you want to store them in a temp range of 55-70 degrees F. Hope this helps.

Oh Hi Bryam,,long time no speak!
I would go with the middle,,40. even 35. Always worked for me,,
You have a great profile.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom