Humidity vs Temperature

Quote:
It'll be fine. Im always happy with 40-50% Rh and get good hatches with it. Only at the end do add a wet sponge or washcloth.

Go here - read for concept understanding:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

It will change your outlook on incubating - I guarantee it.

He recommends between 65-70% humidity during hatching. Mine is still at 40-45%. But, I just realized, if I place the room humidifier closer to the vent hole where my fan is located, it will draw in moist air and the humidity will rise, so I guess I'll do that. I've read to wait until the first pip to raise humidity, is that a good idea? Thanks!

Note the "recommends" part of that. He also makes it clear throughout his article that these things may or may not be something you can achieve consistently. I know Im lucky to get to the magic 70% Rh.
I elevate it to the level I can get it to, and there you go...

The key points in all this are:

a. You are trying this anew.
b. There is a gulf between what is recommended - or considered ideal - and what will actually work.

Seriously, I have read all the books, too. I have a library of chicken books, by authors spanning a century and more. In fact, I've been "re-homing" a lot of them, lately, I have so many.
I also know after countless hatches of my own, and more incubators than I have fingers, that you want everything to be letter perfect - I've been there, as well. I remember my first efforts. That's a good thing.

Something to keep in mind through all of this is you can also relax. Way back when no one had fancy digital devices, the internet or a gazillion resources to read, hatching was still done - quite well, in fact.
By all means, keep to the formula, like you are doing now. That way you have meaningful, standard comparisons to learn from.

But I'm going to stick my neck out and say that if you dont achieve the textbook numbers all the gurus insist upon - you are still gonna do alright. You have great equipment, persistence and you want to succeed.
The hatch will come off as well as it can, with all that going for you. See if I'm not telling you true.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom