1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity vs. Ventilation Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by teach1rusl, Jan 9, 2010.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If the humidity in my coop consistantly stays below 40%, and there are never any odors (other than when a birds drops a bomb right next to me while I'm sitting there), can I safely assume that my winter ventilation is adequate for my size coop/number of chickens??? I know humidity and ventilation are linked, but can they be totally separate issues too??? Thanks!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Providing that your "nose test" for odors consists of bending down to chicken level when you *first enter the coop in the morning* (i.e after it's been shut up for a good long while) and inhaling deeply, possibly while turning over a deep chunk of litter, I would say yes, if there's no condensation/humidity and no ammonia smell you're fine [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by