Humidity

plumcreek

Songster
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I asked this in my other thread but it is buried in the rest of it, so splitting off...

Today the humidity of the area is 78%. It will be above 60% all week. We see similar inside the house as we keep the doors and windows open in this nice weather.

I have a situation where I am not sure of when lockdown should happen or what the hatch date is. With the humidity of the world so high do I need to worry about opening the incubator and drying out the membranes?

Is there a reason for lockdown other than humidity? Is 78% going to be a problem for my hatch? Should I actually be trying to dry out the air with the A/C?

I've been having a very hard time keeping my humidity level..its either up to 80% or right now its 32%..I am at the stage in incubation where humidity may not be a hatch breaker but I wish there was a way to get it to level out.

the two reasons I know to lockdown is to stop turning the eggs so the babies can get cordinated and to get humidity high to help with hatching..Im sorry I cant be of more help.

78 is a little high for the incubation period, but totally fine for lockdown. I feel that the humidity thing is a little bit of a spoof. We have been incubating and hatching with a staggered set for a while now. We keep the RH 50% or as close to that as possible. We have had great hatch rates.

Staggered set being eggs set at different times in the incubator, with no set lockdown date or hatch date for the whole incubator. We may have 1-2 dzn to hatch today, then 1 dzn to hatch in a week, then yet another dzn in 3 more weeks.

Thanks, thats good to know! I have a feeling you might be right about the spoof! I can find a million places offering theories on it but very few studies....

Can you tell me if I should put both red plugs in bator,because I have 3 Goose Eggs in there or what to do.I know they say it takes alot of humidity for goose eggs...HELP!!! Any suggestions wil;l help PLEASE!
idunno.gif
!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom