Humidity

theduartes

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 14, 2012
San Martin, CA
We just hatched our first chicks in our incubator. We have noticed that the humidity jumped up to 70% since the chicks have hatched. Is this ok or is it too high?

We are also planning on setting the new chick with our brooding hen that had hatchlings just over a week ago, introducing them at night and was wondering if that is ok to do or do we HAVE to raise them separately?k

Congrats! If they are all pipping and zipping leave it. It's the moisture from the chicks that's upping the humidity now. I don't know if your hen will accept strange chicks at this stage. I think the best thing to do is to approach her with the chicks, show them to her and see if she calls them. Put them down where she can see them and make sure you can grab them quick if she charges. Some hens will accept chicks a few days after they hatched their own, but some won't. You'll have to try and see. Hopefully your girl will be good and adopt them.

Thanks - Mamma took to the new chicks right away. It was really sweet...she did a couple of little pecks on them and then she brought them under her and sat down as if hey had been with her the whole time. Your brooding hen is an Orp. She has been the only one we have had that shows any interest in brooding.

That's great to hear! My broodies hated any other chicks but their own, except one hen who adopted a chick I was given by a friend, shortly after she hatched her won batch.

Back
Top Bottom