humidty manipulation and turning, hen does not seem to change

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by centrarchid, Jul 7, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I hen incubate and use an incubator. Highest hatch rate from hens (>95%) while incubator yeilds lower (~80%0. Hens do not seem to manipulate humidity. I am not certain but I think they still turn eggs even after day 18. Why am I investing so much in controlling humidity and stopping of egg turning yet hens out performing me?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In my opinion, we are trying to artificially recreate a natural process. There is probably more to incubation than temperature, humidity, and turning. What, I don't know. Maybe she communicates with the embryo? Maybe the oil on her feathers affects the developing chick. Probably something else entirely. But, yeah, my broodies outperform my incubator.

Editted to add:
    Perhaps a broody gives them better air exchange. Who really knows the difference?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Tell me one thing that a man can do better than what God invented. Chickens did not survive all of these years by relying on a human to hatch for them. I would be surprised if someone could incubate on a regular basis what a hen does, especially if you get greater than 95%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by