hummingbird question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mrsengeseth, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

The kids and I enjoy watching the neighborhood birds very much. Last year we know there were some hummingbirds in the area (some at our feeder) and sure enough we found their teeny tiny nests in the shrubbery (can't say that word without thinking of Monty Python). My question is; will they come back and reuse the nests again? I am asking because the nest site is close enough that I could theoretically get a little tiny camera in the shrub this spring somewhere near it to watch the progress of their offspring as a science lesson for the kids. I could stand by it and take pics daily too, but i worry that would disturb the hummingbirds too much.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I dunno the answer, but this is a good place to find it:

http://hummingbirds.net/

We have hummers nests in our hibiscus bush every summer. I can't imagine the nests surving from season to season, they are so fragile. I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. mrsengeseth

thanks. I found it by using your link

Q: Do hummers reuse nests? If not, I'd like to keep one.
    A: Some hens reuse them. But collecting bird nests is illegal without a Federal permit.

I am not interested in keeping a nest, but maybe I can watch one or two ans see if they reuse them. [​IMG]

4. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Quote:I am not interested in keeping a nest, but maybe I can watch one or two ans see if they reuse them. [​IMG]

mrsengeseth. Very cool idea. If you get some video, please post it or a link to it! We have black chinned hummers nesting around our house too, but I have never really looked for their nests. I would love to see what you get.

5. mrsengeseth

I remember them flitting about last year, but i don't remember much about their coloring. I THINK they were mostly green though, hahahahah. That sure helps with identifying them, I am sure. I should have paid closer attention/ I have seen some videos online of people watching the nests. And at youtube you can see some of those too. If I do get video, I am definitely posting that here!!

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Some hummingbirds do re-use nests, but not reliably. We have several that nest in my yard all the time. We even have a nest of Anna's hatching right now. But, they didn't re-use the nest they had before and the nest deteriorated and fell apart. It may be because they didn't like that spot and wanted a new spot or maybe the females from that time didn't want to breed with that male this time. If the nest is in good condition, I would put the camera up, but if it starts to fall apart, then I wouldn't do it..

7. HogbackMtnChickns

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Quote:Hi mrsengeseth. We get mostly black chinned hummers at my house in Western CO, but the rufous come through on their migration for a quick stop. Here are some pics my DH took: #1 is a female black chinned, #2 is a male black-chinned, and #3 is a rufous male.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The male black-chinned are much prettier in person. They have a violet band at the bottom of the black chin marking that really sparkles in the right light. Their backs look iridescent green in sunlight. The rufous guys are over the top - but they are sure feeder bullies. We have seen the black-chinned hummers do their mating flights - such cool birds! You have inspired me to find their nests this spring.

8. mrsengeseth

I think that even if they decide not to reuse the nests, they may decide to use the same nest area maybe. SO I will keep an eye on it all.

9. HogbackMtnChickns

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Quote:I would love to see Anna's nesting. How very cool! We only have the hummers from April to September here. Our only breeders are the subtly colored black-chinned, but everyone once in a while, we do see some exotics on their migration. We always enjoy the rufous stopping by for a few weeks in the late summer.

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    We get black-chinned and rufous in our area, too, but they don't breed in my yard. The male Anna's chases them all away. Plus, we don't allow feeders where I live (I live in an apartment complex). But, we have some nice flowers for them, plus little gnats that fly around all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by