Humongous Egg!!!!!

My little White Leghorn laid this egg today.... what size is this considered? It doesn’t fit in an egg carton ! Lol
WHOA! That's UGE!

One of our 5 chickens is also laying a HUGE egg --moreso now in her 2nd year of laying (and, we're new chicken companions, so ignorant and or always learning or trying to figure something out)--I can't believe that I have NOT caught which hen it is tho who is laying the large egg (we have 3, 2-year-old hens--a red sexlink, a black sexlink and a brahma--supposedly purebred brahma, but from feed store, so don't know). I was SURE that the largest egg was from the brahma--because she's the biggest hen in our flock, and one of the largest backyard breeds, in general (assumed that large bird equals large eggs :). However, I think the large egg is actually coming from the red sexlink--because her breed is supposed to lay larger eggs. My inability to catch them in the act and my noviceness perpetuate this mystery.

Anyway, we did have a roo with our first chick purchase (who has since been rehomed to a loving family in the country)--but, right before we rehomed him (coincided with the beginning of quarantine--perfect timing to embrace a remote learning project), I could tell that ALL of the eggs we were collecting from his ladies, were always definitely fertilized. Anyway, I decided to incubate for the first time, and with 4 children at home. We incubated 9 eggs, and got 3 pullets, 6 roos. DANGIT! However, I think that I've resolved that all 8 of the chicks ended up all being from the brahma, and only 1 (a pullet) is from the red sexlink.

Anyway, we kept the 3 pullets, and again, sadly, I had to rehome the 6 roos--but, we lucked out--they're all happily helping protect large hen flocks out in the country with loving families. And, the pullets have all been laying eggs now (even thru winter) since last August.

Okay, so to add to your photo--to my utter shock, one of my kids recently collected now the tiniest egg--and, I have NO idea why so small or how so small, nor do I know from which pullet it came from? If I didn't know better, I'd have assumed it was instead from a random humming bird. So, I'm still learning fun new things about eggs!!! And, had to share another egg-streme size condition that I've actually never seen anyone post about on here...

I can't help but to also share a pic of ALL of our eggs--I simply cannot believe how beautiful our variety is--I could have never planned this outcome--being so new to chickens :)

First photo is of our largest egg compared to the smallest oddball egg:

20210312_162655.jpg

This is the largest egg we get compared to a normal sized egg (though, I also forgot to mention that this largest egg always has a "seam" around it--right in the middle. I've seen "body checked" eggs before--that if cracked during shell formation in the oviduct--will look like this because the egg shell will seal/repair itself before being laid, but this is the same appearance and location every time, and NOT from getting body checked or cracked internally. Also, this large egg also has previously been more brown--as pictured, vs. the first photo that I posted, above--which is now way more pale--almost white this year, vs. all of last year / before this past winter... I'll be curious to see if it gets any more brown thru the year.

1603305219638.jpg

IMG_20201114_121002_01.jpg

Wanted to update on my big egg from Barnie. Since then she has not laid any eggs. Five days now. Wonder if she is recouping from such a colossal effort??
YES--this has happened to us too--and, we're still coming out of "winter"--so, I've read that there may be skipped days this time of year as seasons transition and depending on temperatures. Also, this same large egg that I shared about above, has produced 2 different times, a double yolk. The only egg layer to do so past 2 years. Anyway, I noticed that we did NOT get next-day eggs after both of those double yolks. Did you find out if your huge egg had a double yolk? Sorry if you already answered that!

YES--this has happened to us too--and, we're still coming out of "winter"--so, I've read that there may be skipped days this time of year as seasons transition and depending on temperatures. Also, this same large egg that I shared about above, has produced 2 different times, a double yolk. The only egg layer to do so past 2 years. Anyway, I noticed that we did NOT get next-day eggs after both of those double yolks. Did you find out if your huge egg had a double yolk? Sorry if you already answered that!
Haven't cracked it yet. When I do, I will post! She still has not laid in a week now.

I've gotten some bigger eggs but never that size. Holy moly poor girl. I've also gotten a fart egg. Thought it was a rock at first 😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_104534_040.jpg
    IMG_20200707_104534_040.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200724_164434_932.jpg
    IMG_20200724_164434_932.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200810_095245.jpg
    20200810_095245.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201118_103940.jpg
    20201118_103940.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 3
20210402_070941.jpg
This was from one of my Sapphire Gems a couple weeks ago. The shell was slightly wrinkled, but the other times she's laid huge eggs, the shells looked perfectly normal. They are always double yolks.

20210402_070812.jpg

This one was from the same week at the SG egg, but came from a Rudd Ranger, Hoover's version of the Freedom Ranger. Her eggs are typically around 90 grams and single yolks.

WHOA! That's UGE!

One of our 5 chickens is also laying a HUGE egg --moreso now in her 2nd year of laying (and, we're new chicken companions, so ignorant and or always learning or trying to figure something out)--I can't believe that I have NOT caught which hen it is tho who is laying the large egg (we have 3, 2-year-old hens--a red sexlink, a black sexlink and a brahma--supposedly purebred brahma, but from feed store, so don't know). I was SURE that the largest egg was from the brahma--because she's the biggest hen in our flock, and one of the largest backyard breeds, in general (assumed that large bird equals large eggs :). However, I think the large egg is actually coming from the red sexlink--because her breed is supposed to lay larger eggs. My inability to catch them in the act and my noviceness perpetuate this mystery.

Anyway, we did have a roo with our first chick purchase (who has since been rehomed to a loving family in the country)--but, right before we rehomed him (coincided with the beginning of quarantine--perfect timing to embrace a remote learning project), I could tell that ALL of the eggs we were collecting from his ladies, were always definitely fertilized. Anyway, I decided to incubate for the first time, and with 4 children at home. We incubated 9 eggs, and got 3 pullets, 6 roos. DANGIT! However, I think that I've resolved that all 8 of the chicks ended up all being from the brahma, and only 1 (a pullet) is from the red sexlink.

Anyway, we kept the 3 pullets, and again, sadly, I had to rehome the 6 roos--but, we lucked out--they're all happily helping protect large hen flocks out in the country with loving families. And, the pullets have all been laying eggs now (even thru winter) since last August.

Okay, so to add to your photo--to my utter shock, one of my kids recently collected now the tiniest egg--and, I have NO idea why so small or how so small, nor do I know from which pullet it came from? If I didn't know better, I'd have assumed it was instead from a random humming bird. So, I'm still learning fun new things about eggs!!! And, had to share another egg-streme size condition that I've actually never seen anyone post about on here...

I can't help but to also share a pic of ALL of our eggs--I simply cannot believe how beautiful our variety is--I could have never planned this outcome--being so new to chickens :)

First photo is of our largest egg compared to the smallest oddball egg:

View attachment 2617390

This is the largest egg we get compared to a normal sized egg (though, I also forgot to mention that this largest egg always has a "seam" around it--right in the middle. I've seen "body checked" eggs before--that if cracked during shell formation in the oviduct--will look like this because the egg shell will seal/repair itself before being laid, but this is the same appearance and location every time, and NOT from getting body checked or cracked internally. Also, this large egg also has previously been more brown--as pictured, vs. the first photo that I posted, above--which is now way more pale--almost white this year, vs. all of last year / before this past winter... I'll be curious to see if it gets any more brown thru the year.

View attachment 2617393

View attachment 2617397
Wow that’s a beautiful bouquet of eggs!!....

Back
Top Bottom