Humpty Dumpty Hatch now in 1/12 lockdown - Hatching on day 23!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bargain, Dec 25, 2009.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Put in 20 eggs from lavendar project for which I am very grateful!

Praying hard on these ....Started with 24 eggs ordered and 24 shipped, four eggs were broken and 10 of the eggs were soaked in yolk, so I wiped them off but know that they may be at risk. I'm putting them in anyway and praying for the best

Put in 8 of my white leghorns as a special request from hubby.

So total in of 28, 8 of mine and 20 of shipped.

Lockdown should be January 12.

Keeping fingers crossed and prayers going on this one.

Anyone want to be a hatching buddy?.....

Edited to remove the pity me tone..... I have high hopes for this hatch and am talking and singing to the little ones already!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good luck. Dang post office anyway.

3. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Thanks Mahonri, I'm praying hard....I've never put any eggs in the incubator that have been soaked in yolk but it's so worth a try, isn't it? I wiped with a towel before putting in. Some of the yold had already hardened so I didn't want to pull off whatever bloom might be there. I guess I'll know at first candling, but I believe in miracles, so I'm hoping and praying.

I thought I did very well not to cry at the post office when I picked them up. But they truly couldn't have put Humpty Dumpty back together again....

So maybe to keep my heart light and me positive....I shall name this my Humpty Dumpty hatch![​IMG]

BTW, I'm so excited about your hatch and reading with great interest.....

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Good luck bargain [​IMG] I have some Silkies from CJ that are due on the 11th, so I am right there with you. My last couple of hatches have bombed and so I am hoping this one goes well.

5. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I'm putting in some eggs from CJ's silkies right now, so I'd like to join you Bargain! I have 7 white silkies, 11 blue/black/splash silkies, one mystery silkie, and four eggs from my own flock that I'm testing for hatchability. So a grand total of 23 eggs (Unless I slip one in from my blue ameraucana tomorrow.) So they are due to hatch the 15th of January!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG] Hopefully your Humpty Dumpty hatch will have a fairytale ending!!

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Friends of mine shipped me eggs and didnt do the best job packing them (you always know its a bad sign when the postman delivers your box in a plastic bag!)

Anywho, out of the dozen 6 exploded en-route, 2 were cracked and 4 were ok. I rinsed the survivors in warm water to remove the egg froth and then covered the cracked areas with candle wax. They are all in the incubator on day 8 and ALL are growing as expected. There is no difference between the cracked and uncracked eggs.

Time will tell but I am crossing my fingers they make it!! [​IMG] If they do I'll have to consider naming them "Humpty" and "Dumpty"!! LOL

Best of luck with your eggs! Please keep us posted on their development!!

7. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Hello, this is Mary form So Cal and I put 20 beautiful EE blues and greens in my incubator on December 21 and the next day added 8 silkie eggs . So I suppose they are due around the same time as yours. It have been so long since I used my incubator that I feel that I need to review . For now the temperature is stable at 99.5 and the humudity is kept up so that the condensation collects on the plastic window. So dowes lock down mean the days they are do to pip and that you do not open up the bator ?

8. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hi flower, lockdown is the last 3 days where you don't turn them or mess with them and don't open the incubator......With that much condensation o the window, are you using a hygrometer? I'm thinkig that when I used my stryo's it doesn't do that unless I'm about 70% or so? But each incubator I know is different. Please do keep an eye on that humidity.

It's nice to have some hatching buddies....I feel happy about that.... Never did a buddy hatch before!

Have a blessed day.

9. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Well candled last night of the white leghorns, one no development.....of the Humpty dumpty Buff Orpington eggs, 9 with no development....9 showed no development....1 was border line ---- weak development but I'm a believer.

1 of the white leghorns was no development - rest all good!

By the way, I do want to honor the shipper as she sent additional eggs to me when I told her what happened with the ship. This is so really kind and caring of her.

Praying for a great Humpty Dumpty hatch and grateful that we have some going on to be in lock down......Go babies go!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Nancy .... I am with you on this one !! I went to lock down yesterday with your eggs !!!! day 19 is today humidity is at 69 so hopefully on Jan 15th WE will have babies !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by