Hunched over ISA Brown

Ahygre21

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
I have a 10 month old ISA brown that I found today that just stands hunched with her tail down. She can stand, but after a while just lays down. I checked for lice/mites, foot injury, and everything seems okay and nothing out of the blue. I read up on egg bound so I gave her an Epsom salt bath. When I examined her, nothing seemed unusual. I gave her an egg and she’s separated from the rest. Is there anything else I should do? I’m worried about her and don’t know what’s wrong.

I have a 10 month old ISA brown that I found today that just stands hunched with her tail down. She can stand, but after a while just lays down. I checked for lice/mites, foot injury, and everything seems okay and nothing out of the blue. I read up on egg bound so I gave her an Epsom salt bath. When I examined her, nothing seemed unusual. I gave her an egg and she’s separated from the rest. Is there anything else I should do? I’m worried about her and don’t know what’s wrong.
Can you feel inside her vent for an egg?
Is she able to poop?

It sounds like she may be having some problems expelling an egg. I'd give her Extra Calcium asap.
You can give 1 tablet Calcium Citrate with D3 or if you don't have that, give her a TUMS. Just pull down on the wattles and pop the pill into the beak, let her swallow.

Work on hydration, get her drinking, then offer some wet soupy feed.

Here's a good article to read https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

She is still laying eggs, but would rather lay down and be by herself. She still hunches up with her tail down. I can’t figure out what’s wrong with her.

She is still laying eggs, but would rather lay down and be by herself. She still hunches up with her tail down. I can’t figure out what’s wrong with her.
Can you get photos of her and her poop?

Have you given her calcium? If not, then I would. While you're at it, feel of her crop and look her over for lice/mites.

It sounds like she may be having some problems expelling an egg. I'd give her Extra Calcium asap.
You can give 1 tablet Calcium Citrate with D3 or if you don't have that, give her a TUMS. Just pull down on the wattles and pop the pill into the beak, let her swallow.

Work on hydration, get her drinking, then offer some wet soupy feed.

Here's a good article to read https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Back
Top Bottom