Hurricane Approaching

Kmdejesus116

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
I live in Orlando Florida. We are expected to have a hurricane pass through either this Sunday or Monday. What should I do about my ducks? There are just two. They do have a coop. I believe it to be very sturdy. Do I keep them locked in their coop during the storm? Do I keep them inside? Keeping them inside would be very interesting as my male duck loves to go after my dog, I have no where to keep them and no ducky diapers. I want to keep them safe. What do I do?

I would try to get the coop to float and then keep them in the coop during the storm. they should be good on water but the main problem is food. Try and build a inflatable or buy raft and then make it to where they can't get out. I wish the best of luck to you.

How many inches of rain and does your property flood? Do you have a garage? that could be turned into a coop till it passes. some use their basements. Where ever you keep them keep them up with food and water. You can use under bed containers to contain water buckets so there isn't too much of a mess. I hope you all don't get the brunt.

Last edited:
Think about your property and the position of your coop. Is your coop likely to flood? How is your coop anchored? Could it blow away? Is there an overhanging tree that might fall on it or have branches fall on it? If you feel the coop is in relative safety, I'd lock the birds in it with food and water and ride it out. If you do not think they would be safe I'd get two larger plastic totes (or a large plastic dog kennel, but this is much more expensive), put straw or towels in the bottom and bring the ducks inside. If you have two totes you can put the ducks in one with a towel and food and water, and when it gets gross (which won't take long) switch them to the other tote, throw the towel in the wash and clean out the one they were in and then when the other tote gets gross switch them back. It may be very little space, but it's safer and better than the alternative, and you will worry less about them by having them close, and it's only temporary. Good luck. Hopefully the flooding and damage in your area isn't too bad. Maybe stock up on extra bottled water for the ducks in case your electricity and/or water supply is compromised.

If you have a garage that won't flood, a temporary pen in there would work. Also a second bathroom inside is a good place, though you will have some cleaning to do once they are out. I would not leave them in the coop unless you know it won't flood, and you know it will stand up to any wind you may get (also trees coming down on it should be considered). Mine is raised off the ground 18 inches and is anchored with mobile home anchors. You have to be prepared that you may not be able to get to them or check on them until the storm passes and it's safe outside again. Best of luck to you, we are getting ready also. I always hope it goes somewhere else, even though then I'm wishing it on someone else. :oops:

I lived in Florida for only 12 years but it was in Destin during Ivan. I'd put them in the garage if I were you. It might end up to be nothing and if so, just put them back in their pen but if it doesn't they would be safe. Set up a fenced area in the garage that they can get comfortable in. They'll be fine!

Think about your property and the position of your coop. Is your coop likely to flood? How is your coop anchored? Could it blow away? Is there an overhanging tree that might fall on it or have branches fall on it? If you feel the coop is in relative safety, I'd lock the birds in it with food and water and ride it out. If you do not think they would be safe I'd get two larger plastic totes (or a large plastic dog kennel, but this is much more expensive), put straw or towels in the bottom and bring the ducks inside. If you have two totes you can put the ducks in one with a towel and food and water, and when it gets gross (which won't take long) switch them to the other tote, throw the towel in the wash and clean out the one they were in and then when the other tote gets gross switch them back. It may be very little space, but it's safer and better than the alternative, and you will worry less about them by having them close, and it's only temporary. Good luck. Hopefully the flooding and damage in your area isn't too bad. Maybe stock up on extra bottled water for the ducks in case your electricity and/or water supply is compromised.
Our yard doesn’t flood, so that’s good. The coop is sturdy. A bin is hard to keep them in because they fly out. I will just have to keep them in their coop with food and water. I just have to pray.

Back
Top Bottom